[FT] Rangers 0 - 0 Villarreal

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

I agree, but Gerrard gets the credit!

I remember seeing a picture of the note. Just goes to show how important a manager's back-room staff can be. 

Koeman said that as well that he trusts his back-room staff to make a decision like that.They work as a team.

CONTROVERSIAL Slovenian ref Matej Jug sent off Daniel Candeias for unsporting behaviour - NOT a second late tackle.

The Portuguese winger was dismissed in first half stoppage time - leaving Rangers to battle with ten men for the entire duration of the second half

Steven Gerrard’s men, however, held Villarreal to a 0-0 draw ensuring that victory in Vienna on December 13 will seem them progress to the knock-out stages of the Europa League.

But it seems certain they will be without Candeias when they face Rapid.

The 30 year-old was harshly booked for a foul on 36 minutes.

Then, in first half injury time, he picked up his second yellow card for what Jug has described in his match report as “unsporting behaviour”.

Candeias became embroiled with Santiago Caseres, but Gers midfielder claimed afterwards James Tavernier was guilty of the first foul on the Villarreal defender.

Coulibaly insisted immediately after the goalless draw it was a case of mistaken identity.

But SunSport understands the referee’s report claims it was because Candeias squared up to Caseres.

Coulibaly claimed: “It was not Candeias who made the initial foul – it was Tav.

“But it’s the referee’s decision so we can’t do anything about it. If the referee says Candeias then it’s Candeias.

“We told him that it was Tav but he said no – that he saw Candeias.

“He said it was No2, yet he showed the second yellow card to Candeias. But No2 is Tav.

“I don’t understand that. So we can’t do anything now.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3560206/rangers-daniel-candeias-villarreal-santiago-caseres-reason-red-card/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1543570530

18 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

CONTROVERSIAL Slovenian ref Matej Jug sent off Daniel Candeias for unsporting behaviour - NOT a second late tackle.

The Portuguese winger was dismissed in first half stoppage time - leaving Rangers to battle with ten men for the entire duration of the second half

Steven Gerrard’s men, however, held Villarreal to a 0-0 draw ensuring that victory in Vienna on December 13 will seem them progress to the knock-out stages of the Europa League.

Then, in first half injury time, he picked up his second yellow card for what Jug has described in his match report as “unsporting behaviour”.

Candeias became embroiled with Santiago Caseres, but Gers midfielder claimed afterwards James Tavernier was guilty of the first foul on the Villarreal defender.

Coulibaly insisted immediately after the goalless draw it was a case of mistaken identity.

But SunSport understands the referee’s report claims it was because Candeias squared up to Caseres.

“But it’s the referee’s decision so we can’t do anything about it. If the referee says Candeias then it’s Candeias.

“He said it was No2, yet he showed the second yellow card to Candeias. But No2 is Tav.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3560206/rangers-daniel-candeias-villarreal-santiago-caseres-reason-red-card/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1543570530

We don't want to do anything now in case they give the card to Morelos instead who made the second foul. I would rather miss Candeias than Tav or Morelos. This statement is just another cop out of I made a **** of it. It seems referees can make it up as they go along.What about the big defender squaring up to Morelos and fouling him in nearly every tackle. What about the guy that took out Flanagan. he was also on a yellow card. We played against 12 men last night.

Perspective! we have one match to win to qualify for the last 32 in EL! if we win on Sunday we go top of the league! not one single Rangers fan would have expected that at the start of the season, not one!.

Huge month ahead for us, if we can win all our matches this month then we can start to believe we can put in a serious challenge for the title, I am still not convinced we can as yet, however if we put together a winning streak this month then it is game on! keep believing :rfcbouncy: 

2 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Another lying bastard of a referee. 

There must be a box of them, somewhere.

One last thing ... Lafferty does bring a couple of new dimension to our game. There is obvioulsy his strength as a target man when our defenders play the long ball game ... or at corners and free kicks.

But more importantly, and we saw it instantly last night, is his willingness to shoot - with some power - from distance. And when you see some of his goals this and last season, he does score some screamers from around the egde of the area. We usually play into feet and rarely havea go from "his" distance. Half a meter either side of the goalie would have seen him score. IMHO, he should be an instant replacement for Candeias in Vienna, or rather Morelos goes to inside right and Lafferty through the middle.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

One last thing ... Lafferty does bring a couple of new dimension to our game. There is obvioulsy his strength as a target man when our defenders play the long ball game ... or at corners and free kicks.

But more importantly, and we saw it instantly last night, is his willingness to shoot - with some power - from distance. And when you see some of his goals this and last season, he does score some screamers from around the egde of the area. We usually play into feet and rarely havea go from "his" distance. Half a meter either side of the goalie would have seen him score. IMHO, he should be an instant replacement for Candeias in Vienna, or rather Morelos goes to inside right and Lafferty through the middle.

I suspect Gerrard will go with Grezda on one side and Middleton on the other.  Unless Kent is fit.  

19 hours ago, craig said:

Just a shame you jumped to the same conclusion as the ref initially.....

It’s hardly “jumping to a conclusion”, I had seen a replay and it did look like Candeias had gone after him and deliberately landed on him. It was only after another few replays that I changed my mind because he didn’t make as much contact on him as it initially looked he did. I don’t think it was as crazy a decision as everyone is suggesting when it’s made in the heat of the moment and you don’t have the benefit of a replay. 

19 hours ago, craig said:

Eh ?

We played 44 minutes with 11 men and the game was even at that point.  They had chances but so too did we.  What nonsense.  Did you watch the game ?

No I listened to it, lol! My point was we seemed to be struggling defensively until we were forced to tighten up as a result of going down to 10. We don't seem to have quite enough creatively yet to go toe-to-toe with the like of Villarreal.

2 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

No I listened to it, lol! My point was we seemed to be struggling defensively until we were forced to tighten up as a result of going down to 10. We don't seem to have quite enough creatively yet to go toe-to-toe with the like of Villarreal.

To be honest we struggled defensively throughout, we survived due to a combination of McGregor and their wastefulness. In terms of our creativity, we actually had plenty of good opportunities to score because their defence was very poor too. Their most effective tactic was to fall over when anyone came near them because they were guaranteed a free kick every time, killed a lot of our attacks.