The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

I reckon Kent will probably be outwith our budget and our transfer dealing (adding Jones to Murphy, Middleton and Grezda) took that into consideration.

Liverpool might well treat us preferentially regards loans (they'll be happy with 50% success rate IMO) but when it comes to transfer fees, it'll be strictly hard business and in todays market, why would they sell Kent for less than 5M ?

Edited by buster.

39 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Really? Because he skinned Lustig? Everyone can skin Lustig. 

I think that's going too far. Kent's a good player, with good skills, but his final product is average. I'd certainly like to get him permanently, for a modest fee, but I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the future star of our team.

Agree he’s a good option to have in the squad. As I’ve said loads of times I think your front three all need to be goalscorers and technically very capable. Defensive discipline is way down the priority list for me in that position. 

Just now, DMAA said:

Agree he’s a good option to have in the squad. As I’ve said loads of times I think your front three all need to be goalscorers and technically very capable. Defensive discipline is way down the priority list for me in that position. 

IMO, if Middleton played instead of Kent, we probably don't make the EL group stage and that would mean approximately 10M revenue down.

23 minutes ago, buster. said:

why would they sell Kent for less than 5M ?

Because he’s not worth that. Time will tell but I don’t see Championship clubs clamouring for him at the end of the season, I still think he’s a £2m player and although I like him I wouldn’t spend cash like that on him. 

Just now, DMAA said:

Because he’s not worth that. Time will tell but I don’t see Championship clubs clamouring for him at the end of the season, I still think he’s a £2m player and although I like him I wouldn’t spend cash like that on him. 

99% of players in the EPL aren't really worth the fee they go for.

37 minutes ago, buster. said:

99% of players in the EPL aren't really worth the fee they go for.

I mean nobody will spend that on him. He has slotted in to Scottish football and is nowhere near the top 10 goals table or assists table despite playing in a forward 3 of the joint top team. You need to really excel in this league to command a fee like that because the Championship is a big step up. 

Some debate over on FF regarding the affordability of Kent, given that Solanke moved for 19m.

Obviously, what happens between EPL sides et al is on a different universe. Solanke is an full-blown EPL player now, has experience here and there ... was under contract and moved to an English side.

Kent is (so goes the saying) actually still on academy wages, had two not-too successful loan spells and hardly any high-profile experience ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ryan-kent/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/279457

The one thing that pushes any price up will be his status as a Liverpool / "EPL player" and the length of his contract. Liverpool will have noted his form and may want a closer look. Or the just lend SG a helping hand ... be that with a permanent deal (sell-on clause add-ons will probably come in here) or another season long loan. There is loads of time on either side though.

The Solanke fee is ridiculous; he's barely had a run of games in the EPL and is still unproven. He will have to compete at Bournemouth with the excellent Calum Wilson and Joshua King so he may be on the bench a lot. Glad we didn't sign him - we are not an audition platform for England U21 wannabees.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

The one thing that pushes any price up will be his status as a Liverpool / "EPL player" and the length of his contract.

You’ve summed it up quite well. Solanke went for silly money but he’s not comparable to Kent. 

Kent’s fee will be decided by demand because he’s worthless to Liverpool and that’s why I think he will be valued at about £2m, I don’t think there will be championship clubs willing to pay more than that if making bids at all. 

Edited by DMAA