The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

27 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

That would be a rather defensive line-up though, with 5 defenders? While Tav and Barisic are good at going forward, I would say that in an attack-motivated line-up, their places will go to Candeias and Kent/Middleton/Grezda. Jack would do the defensive duties in front of the back-3.

It remains to be seen whether SG changes from 4-3-3, yet, systems and tactics should be dynamic anyway and change from game to game some way or another.

I noted that Murphy, Dorrans and Barisic are all training in Teneriffe.

The management team now have more to think about wrt formation as better players make certain options more attractive on paper.

Different options are good to have and they'll be working/drilling/looking at things now.

4-3-3 may well remain the the prominent system but I'll be surprised if two up top doesn't feature more heavily than the first 2/3rds of the season.

-----------------

Morelos stat: His next league goal will be his 55th senior league goal (HJK & Rangers) 

Good going for a 22 year old playing over 8,000 Kilometres from home.

Edited by buster.

3 hours ago, buster. said:

The 3-5-2 option looks good on paper

McGregor

McAuley - Goldson - Worrall

Tav - Davis - Jack - Arfield - Barisic

Defoe - Morelos

Would make for an interesting training game .

Foderingham

Flanagan -Katic - Wallace

Candeias - Halliday - McCrory - Coulibaly -Middleton

Lafferty -  Grezda

3 minutes ago, Franc Ergs said:

Foderingham

Lafferty -  Grezda

Agreed, Davis & Defoe instead of Ejaria & Sadiq greatly improves the depth in our squad.

Prediction: First team beat second XI 4-2 :whistle::D

Edited by buster.

16 minutes ago, buster. said:

Agreed, Davis & Defoe instead of Ejaria & Sadiq greatly improves the depth in our squad.

Prediction: First team beat second XI 4-2 :whistle::D

I'm not accepting that, Morelos put in some illegal challenges, and should've been sent off early on in the match .

I'll take it to appeal if i have to :D.

2 hours ago, buster. said:

When up against tight compact defences we have to find ways of breaking them down.

Unless you have a Gazza level of Number 10 (not going to happen), I think playing 2 up top has to figure high up in possible solutions.

That may be the case, but Gerrard has shown no signs that he agrees.

31 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Hat may be the case, but Gerrard has shown no signs that he agrees.

- What SG&Co had available to them (players) has changed significantly since our last game

- Up until that point we hadn't solved the problem regards playing compact defences

- We'll find out when the games come round

2 hours ago, der Berliner said:

That would be a rather defensive line-up though, with 5 defenders? While Tav and Barisic are good at going forward, I would say that in an attack-motivated line-up, their places will go to Candeias and Kent/Middleton/Grezda. Jack would do the defensive duties in front of the back-3.

It remains to be seen whether SG changes from 4-3-3, yet, systems and tactics should be dynamic anyway and change from game to game some way or another.

I noted that Murphy, Dorrans and Barisic are all training in Teneriffe.

It isn't defensive dB - Tav and Barisic would offer cover at the back but would be expected to get forward to offer attacking alternatives, more often than offering defensive cover I suspect as we would, likely, have the majority of possession.  In essence we would have Tav, Davis, Arfield, Barisic, Defoe & Morelos all playing in attacking positions.

1 hour ago, Franc Ergs said:

Foderingham

Lafferty -  Grezda

What this shows, more than anything, is just how vastly improved our squad strength in depth has become in such a short space of time.

It simply cannot be ignored the pretty remarkable job that Mark Allen, Steven Gerrard and the Board have done in such a short space of time.

14 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

This just helps us - if their fans get on his back then their Board is likely to make it easier to deal with before the end of January for a cut-price deal.