The Winter 2018/19 - Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

33 minutes ago, stewarty said:

£7m seems a bit light to me though, given he's contracted till 2022.  Saying that, if the numbers get to the likes of £10m+ I suspect that might be the trigger point.

I'd want more too and I'd be delighted if it was a lot more. However we need to sell if we're going to keep on improving the squad and it's just a fact of life that the demand will always be for our better players. Besides, maybe we could even get someone who can take a decent corner kick. I doubt he'll actually be allowed to go but it will be interesting to see how our current management team conduct any negotiation.

We shall see. By default, one does not want to see someone leave Rangers, yet, as the saying goes, no-one is irreplacable. There is no doubt his enthusiasm and workrate, but truth be told, his defending lapses have cost us last season and there are sure better defenders out there too. We all know that he can whip in dangerous crosses - every now and then - but that's not going to say no-one else can. Corners, free-kicks ... I for one prayed that Halliday, Barisic, or Middleton take them ahead of Tav. He had a phenomenal first season with great goals, many assists and cool free kicks. Perhaps it tainted his current return on that front, for no matter what the stats may tell us, he's been below that standard for long spells ever since.

Methinks Stevie-Fourlads murmured something regarding this scenario when the US chaps happened by ... and obviously, we do have Flanagan, who stepped in at LB rather than his natural RB position. And 7m (if true) is really serious money. We shall see ... and as I noted above, given our early deals, this might become a "long" window now.

If Tierney is being banded as a £20M player (no laughing at the back!), then Tav should be around the same number. He is every bit as good going forward (better IMO), also has a far higher rate of assists/goals than KT, and is equally good (both not great) defensively. Would the tims take £7M for KT? Not a chance.

To be honest I think only our recruitment department and Gerrard can really judge what is worth accepting. We can complain about what other players have sold for all day long, at the end of the day if they think they can use 7 odd million to make the squad better than it is with Tav then they'll do it. If you're very savvy I don't think that's impossible at all. Tav is 27 so in many ways is at peak value. Polster looks excellent in the clips I've seen and they've seen him up close in training so will know how he compares with Tav.

4 hours ago, stewarty said:

I heard about a minute of some argument between Macleod and Burns and the gist of it was conjecture from them both, with Macleod pointing out that Brown is younger than Defoe and Davis (though only by 6 months re: Davis), therefore it was ridiculous to assert that Brown was past it when Defoe and Davis were being lauded as great signings.

I think there is merit in both stances, but as ever we will need to wait till our new signings play a few games before we can judge the impact they will have vs the apparently fading Broonaldinho

I don't think it's as straightforward as comparing ages, theres also the question of have they taken care of themselves and simple DNA. Gordon Strachan was playing at the top level till he was almost 40 because he trained well and took care of himself.

Davis and Defoe have reportedly also taken care of themselves unlike another being mentioned in this conversation.

269D6BCF00000578-2993059-image-a-26_1426

Edited by JFK-1

These bastards are really worried now. Having assured themselves they had years stretching ahead littered with trophies, they then entered a phase of total denial that, while things might be improving at Ibrox, any realistic challenge was impossible for years to come. Suddenly they're confronted by the truth, that Rangers could well take the title this year and it's full blown panic. Total hysteria. No lie is too outrageous, no deceit too shameful, anyone and everyone is fair game.

Celtic and Rangers in transfer battle to sign Portsmouth defender Jack Whatmough

The 22-year-old centre-back has less than six months to run on his contract at Fratton Park

Celtic and Rangers are going head-to-head in the race to sign Portsmouth defender Jack Whatmough, according to reports.

The 22-year-old centre-back is out of contract at the end of the season, and the Old Firm rivals are interested in securing the highly-rated Pompey star.

Aberdeen are also keen on Whatmough, with the view of signing him when his deal expires in the summer.

However, according to The Sun, it is the Premiership’s current top two that are leading the race for Gosport-born Whatmough, who has been on Portsmouth’s books since the age of 13.

Whatmough has gone on to make 90 appearances for Pompey since debuting in 2013, helping them win promotion back to League One in 2016/17.

He’s started all but four matches this season with Pompey flying high atop the League One table, and scouts have headed to Fratton Park to watch the youngster in action.

Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen would all be able to sign Whatmough for a small fee this summer, as they would only have to pay training compensation to Pompey rather than a larger amount decided by tribunal.

He signed a two-year deal at the start of last season but is yet to agree to new terms with less than six months to run on his existing contract.

https://talksport.com/football/efl/470434/celtic-rangers-transfer-sign-portsmouth-jack-whatmough/