[FT] Dundee 1 - 1 Rangers (Halliday 21)

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

We qualified for EL group stages and are second in the league.

We are playing badly but the last thing we need to do is look for more managerial change.

We need to keep and support SG&Co.

I am not saying for one minute that I want to change manager but it's just so frustrating!! Probably the wrong time to come on here to be honest

29 minutes ago, Big Jaws said:

Absolutely agree we have nothing of a game plan other than get the ball wide and cross it into the box. Even at that when we do manage it we've only got 1 striker either Morelos who has carried this team all season or Lafferty who has done nothing when he's had a chance. We don't move opposition defenders around we don't pull players out of position we just cross it into the box in the hope that someone will get onto it.

Our defence can win headers in our own box but then our midfield cant pick up the second ball and its the same in the oppositions box we cant pick up any second balls. We're terrible at throw ins and we cant win a ball in the air in the middle of the park. Its got nothing to do with having leaders its a lack of quality or understanding of the game as it plays out thats the problem here. After Wednesdays pish I'm absolutely raging at that display.

Not disagreeing but it is very difficult to pull defenders out of position when they play with 10 (even today it was 10 because as soon as Dundee lost the ball everyone was behind it) behind the ball.  Going through the middle in those situations is really difficult.  Today our decision-making when getting beyond the defender was very, very poor.  Nobody really attacked the front post and only once did I see anyone check the run for a cut back.

Just now, Whosthedado said:

I am not saying for one minute that I want to change manager but it's just so frustrating!! Probably the wrong time to come on here to be honest

I know you weren't but just wanted to get the 'keep the faith' message out there !

A poor run of form can happen and you can see mistakes have been made at all levels (players on the pitch, manager and recruitment....but this happens as well). We were light on creative options in the middle of the pitch and this was apparent since Skhupi.

4 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

Not the wrong time to come on at all mate.  We are ALL raging at the display and the result.

However, we also need to be realistic - our start in Europe and some hopeful performances in the league have us believing when, in reality, this shouldn't be our season - Gerrard has had ONE window.  Celtic, great or not, spent as much on one player as we spent on an entire squad.

Some balance, some realism and some calmness is what is needed.  I don't think there is any doubt we have improved over Warburton & Caixinha teams - we just seem to be knee jerk to every disappointing result and/or performance.

What is abundantly clear to me is that we don't have nearly the strength in depth we think we do.  Not one player who could come on and really change the game with a bit of quality.

Celtic are better than us, but they should be, they've had 6 years free reign and stability on AND off the field.  We've asked Gerrard to come in and work miracles in 5 months ???  We are so ridiculously short-termist.

1 minute ago, craig said:

Not the wrong time to come on at all mate.  We are ALL raging at the display and the result.

However, we also need to be realistic - our start in Europe and some hopeful performances in the league have us believing when, in reality, this shouldn't be our season - Gerrard has had ONE window.  Celtic, great or not, spent as much on one player as we spent on an entire squad.

Some balance, some realism and some calmness is what is needed.  I don't think there is any doubt we have improved over Warburton & Caixinha teams - we just seem to be knee jerk to every disappointing result and/or performance.

What is abundantly clear to me is that we don't have nearly the strength in depth we think we do.  Not one player who could come on and really change the game with a bit of quality.

Celtic are better than us, but they should be, they've had 6 years free reign and stability on AND off the field.  We've asked Gerrard to come in and work miracles in 5 months ???  We are so ridiculously short-termist.

Agreed, a win in Vienna and we'll be dancing in the Alps :whistle:

I thought we'd win this one easily, and that was even after they scored.

They were trying to play football against us , then got a man sent off and subsequently stopped playing and just shut down shop.

Our play was just so predictable ,and the Dundee defence must've been getting that feeling of deja vu with every attack.

We are capable of so much better too, that's the frustrating thing.

But yes, a creative midfielder .

14 minutes ago, craig said:

Not disagreeing but it is very difficult to pull defenders out of position when they play with 10 (even today it was 10 because as soon as Dundee lost the ball everyone was behind it) behind the ball.  Going through the middle in those situations is really difficult.  Today our decision-making when getting beyond the defender was very, very poor.  Nobody really attacked the front post and only once did I see anyone check the run for a cut back.

Trueblue said exactly the same as I did in his follow up post and went further too. In his post he talks about pulling defenders out and hints at the importance of short corners when you are playing against 10 men. We had more than enough corners to score from and more or less every one of them was fired into the box either on top of their keeper or their defenders... easy life being a Dundee defender when every blue shirt in the box is nowhere near it. Thats when you play short corners because the players have to be closed down and with an extra man it creates space otherwise you have two attackers coming into your box one with the ball. In open play all of our front three attacking options are in a line across the field and the midfield is 20-30 yards behind them... again easy life being a Dundee defender as no one is breaking through the lines but then from your post you seem to know this so why respond to me as if in disagreement?  

Edited by Big Jaws

10 minutes ago, craig said:

Agreed Craig but it is alarming that after nearly 30 odd games we are still trying to find a pattern to our play. The tinkering does not help and if you look at the early part of the season we looked more solid as we had a more settled team. Regardless of overall quality it looks like we are making this up as we are going along. It is worrying tbh

Edited by BlackSocksRedTops

13 minutes ago, Franc Ergs said:

I thought we'd win this one easily, and that was even after they scored.

They were trying to play football against us , then got a man sent off and subsequently stopped playing and just shut down shop.

Our play was just so predictable ,and the Dundee defence must've been getting that feeling of deja vu with every attack.

We are capable of so much better too, that's the frustrating thing.

But yes, a creative midfielder .

The fact we lack a real creative midfielder makes todays result anything but a surprise.

Kent going off at HT was the departure of most of our creative midfield today and it showed.

It was always going to be a difficult fixture.

Dundee going down to ten probably made it more difficult (once they reorganised at HT).

Edited by buster.