[FT] Hibernian 0 - 0 Rangers

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Lennon surprisingly accurate in his post match comments.

Probably feart that he might get barged by Stevie again.

Lennon will know that he no longer can poke fun at Rangers and get nothing in return.  He will have seen how Gerrard handles pressers and know that if he doesn't at least try to keep it honest then Gerrard will show him up - and we all know that Gerrard would beat him comfortably in a war of words.

I feel Stevie is too dignified a man to be drawn into the gutter with the likes of Lennon. Any “war of words” involving him would amount to little more than barely a few words warning whichever journo who was trying to stir it to move on.

Lennon has appeared somewhat subdued since the crowd goading at Hearts along with his simulating being struck in the face by a coin backfired on him. Long may it last but I wouldn’t bank on it.

2 hours ago, craig said:

Lennon will know that he no longer can poke fun at Rangers and get nothing in return.  He will have seen how Gerrard handles pressers and know that if he doesn't at least try to keep it honest then Gerrard will show him up - and we all know that Gerrard would beat him comfortably in a war of words.

I think it’s also that he respects Gerrard. You get that impression from the honesty in his comments pre and post match rather than stirring the pot and trying to play mind games. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I think it’s also that he respects Gerrard. You get that impression from the honesty in his comments pre and post match rather than stirring the pot and trying to play mind games. 

Could be respect and it could be that he knows Gerrard wont think twice about shooting him down.

Trying to play mind games with Murty and Caixinha is a very, very different proposition to doing it with someone like Gerrard who has achieved more than most in the game, as a player.  Lennon knows that.  He may be a dick, but he isn't stupid.

21 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Morelos was our best player tonight with Barisic and Jack not far behind.

Nail squarely on the head. I might be tempted to put Jack at the head of that trio but those are the players who earned pass marks.

1 hour ago, craig said:

Could be respect and it could be that he knows Gerrard wont think twice about shooting him down

On top of his reputation as a player, Gerrard was instant successful in Europe and has been so professional and classy in his press conferences and I think as a result he is well respected in this country. Caixinha didn’t come with a reputation and made himself a laughing stock on and off the pitch and a really easy target so it was no surprise manager’s picked fights with him. 

Edited by DMAA

27 minutes ago, DMAA said:

On top of his reputation as a player, Gerrard was instant successful in Europe and has been so professional and classy in his press conferences and I think as a result he is well respected in this country. Caixinha didn’t come with a reputation and made himself a laughing stock on and off the pitch and a really easy target so it was no surprise manager’s picked fights with him. 

Still early days but the way that Gerrard handles himself off the pitch with the media has me very confident we are in safe hands.  Add to that the issues we see in the team are the same issues he sees himself.  Since he came in you could probably count on the fingers of one hand where you find yourself disagreeing with his assessment of a game.  Compare and contrast to McCoist, Murty & Caixinha - all of whom had you scratching your head post-game wondering if you'd literally been to a different game from them.

11 hours ago, craig said:

Still early days but the way that Gerrard handles himself off the pitch with the media has me very confident we are in safe hands.  Add to that the issues we see in the team are the same issues he sees himself.  Since he came in you could probably count on the fingers of one hand where you find yourself disagreeing with his assessment of a game.  Compare and contrast to McCoist, Murty & Caixinha - all of whom had you scratching your head post-game wondering if you'd literally been to a different game from them.

The difficulty for him is dealing with what I'd call unreasonable expectation levels.

So far I think the general impression is that he has delivered on those expectation levels (EL group qualification put a lot of credit in that particular account). Hence, he has stayed ahead of the curve.

The real test for dealing with the media would come if the curve overtakes him.