Ryan Jack has signed a new contract

I'm very happy to see the club's next captain signed up to a new deal.  Jack is one of the most under rated players in the game.  He's our Makelele/Scholes in that he does so much for the team that goes unnoticed.  Gerrard knows an excellent midfielder when he sees one.

5 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Dont see he has done anything to merit a new deal. Last season was abysmal, and his sporadic outings this season have been up and down.

His recent form in the last few games can now at least be understood, he was in contract negotiations! Seen this all too often, sadly. Ricksen is the prime example of a player who was shit until contract talks started then he looks like a player! 

Hopefully he can up his game and earn his no doubt hefty wage rise. I dont think he is any better than McCrorie or Rossiter but will be on a lot more than both.

However it is good to see the club being active in this area in tying down the players SG wants well in advance of their contract expiring. I dont expect any bids for Jack, but at least if one did come in it would need to be decent with 2.5years of a contract to go.

Completely disagree on this one.  One of our best performers this season.  Quite possibly our best outfield player, Morelos aside.

I'm halfway on the fence and halfway on Jack's side.  He's a good player but I think some of us overrate him.  A good holding midfielder should be able to make good runs forward (occasionally) and also make long range, forward passes - two things Jack doesn't do nearly enough of.  

But I like him and I'm glad he's signed a new contract.

If you're reading this, Ryan - knock Scott Brown on his arse next week and I'll be your biggest fan. 

49 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm halfway on the fence and halfway on Jack's side.  He's a good player but I think some of us overrate him.  A good holding midfielder should be able to make good runs forward (occasionally) and also make long range, forward passes - two things Jack doesn't do nearly enough of.  

But I like him and I'm glad he's signed a new contract.

If you're reading this, Ryan - knock Scott Brown on his arse next week and I'll be your biggest fan. 

I'm the same mate, I like him but I want more from him, as with all our players, how many of our players can step up another level? we can only hope they can 

7 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Dont see he has done anything to merit a new deal. Last season was abysmal, and his sporadic outings this season have been up and down.

His recent form in the last few games can now at least be understood, he was in contract negotiations! Seen this all too often, sadly. Ricksen is the prime example of a player who was shit until contract talks started then he looks like a player! 

Hopefully he can up his game and earn his no doubt hefty wage rise. I dont think he is any better than McCrorie or Rossiter but will be on a lot more than both.

However it is good to see the club being active in this area in tying down the players SG wants well in advance of their contract expiring. I dont expect any bids for Jack, but at least if one did come in it would need to be decent with 2.5years of a contract to go.

Was he not injured for a lot of last season! He’s the best holding midfielder in Scotland apart from Scott Brown. He will surpass Brown in the next year. 

I’ll trust SG when it comes to judging midfielders. 

Think I’m definitely in the minority on this one!

He is not anywhere near the Kenny Miller level of annoyance as I like Ryan Jack, I just don’t think he is as good as everyone raves about him.

i have watched him quite closely in recent games as guys on the bus, on here etc are saying he was great and I didn’t notice anything decent from him, and I remain to be convinced he is anything more than bang average, or any better than McCrorie or Coulibaly in that defensive holding role.

i don’t sigh when I see he is in the team like I did with Miller! He will do as decent a job as anyone else in that role, I just have never noticed anything outstanding or MOTM about him.

Like others have said and as I said in my previous post, if SG thinks he is worthy of a new deal, that’s fine by me, I’m just not going to be over-excited about it, but not annoyed either.

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Think I’m definitely in the minority on this one!

He is not anywhere near the Kenny Miller level of annoyance as I like Ryan Jack, I just don’t think he is as good as everyone raves about him.

i have watched him quite closely in recent games as guys on the bus, on here etc are saying he was great and I didn’t notice anything decent from him, and I remain to be convinced he is anything more than bang average, or any better than McCrorie or Coulibaly in that defensive holding role.

i don’t sigh when I see he is in the team like I did with Miller! He will do as decent a job as anyone else in that role, I just have never noticed anything outstanding or MOTM about him.

Like others have said and as I said in my previous post, if SG thinks he is worthy of a new deal, that’s fine by me, I’m just not going to be over-excited about it, but not annoyed either.

I think Jack is a good player, and is most certainly better than McCrorie and Coulibaly, but fair enough. 

I'm curious, though, out of our current players, who you think is good?  

It's always intrigued me how some players can perform poorly and consistently draw praise and forgiveness from fans, while others can play well and attract dog's abuse and never be appreciated for their contribution. But this is the age of celebrity and sentiment, where as a matter of routine the many sheep among us adopt the last opinion they heard and hold it like an original thought. Perhaps he best example in recent times has been Josh WIndass who earned the same criticism and praise no matter how he played, the difference only being who you happened to listen to. And Andy Halliday goes from "one of our own" to a basket case and back again on a game by game basis. Now Ryan Jack seems to have been singled out as hopeless-going-on-average-going-on-world-beater. Seems it really is all about opinions and the only thing anyone can do is leave the herd and think for yourself.