Cowdenbeath v Rangers

Racing in Musselburgh this side of the Forth has been cancelled due to the frost so still have my doubts about our game.

Covers due to be taken off the pitch at 11am so I guess we'll know around lunchtime whether or not it goes ahead.  

Looking at the weather forecast this morning, it looks like the winter break is ending just as the winter arrives in Scotland. Even colder next week and increased chance of snow. 

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Looking at the weather forecast this morning, it looks like the winter break is ending just as the winter arrives in Scotland. Even colder next week and increased chance of snow. 

That is what makes the winter break so stupid.

The winter break is not really anything to do with the weather, which is so unpredictable that it would be impossible to arrange a season's fixtures in the summer to account for what might be the worst of the weather over a whole winter. Last year for example the worst weather we had was at the end of Feb/start of March when snow closed airports and pretty much the whole country.

The winter break is exactly that, a break. It gives players the chance to rest, get rid of niggling injuries, for the top clubs to get some warm weather training which is so much better for players than what we can give them at home. Putting this break at the beginning of January makes perfect sense as well as it is in the transfer window and gives clubs time to try to bring players in without the fixtures getting in the way. 

My personal preference would be to shut down end of November and start back start of March (last year would have been frustrating but that was very rare) and play through the summer with the mid-season break every 2 years for international tournaments. Playing twice a week in these months is much easier than through the winter, for the players, and for fans. As a fan who goes to every game (not friendlies though!) I know I would much rather go in a t-shirt and shorts or simple casual clothing than 5 layers and still not be able to feel your nose or feet.

On 18/01/2019 at 08:33, Frankie said:

Racing in Musselburgh this side of the Forth has been cancelled due to the frost so still have my doubts about our game.

Covers due to be taken off the pitch at 11am so I guess we'll know around lunchtime whether or not it goes ahead.  

I wish they would have cancelled yesterday's racing at Kempfon as well. ?