Jordan Jones has ‘no doubt’ he will win Scottish Premiership with Rangers

JORDAN JONES admits the lure of a title win with his boyhood heroes was a major factor in choosing to ignore a return to England.

Northern Ireland winger Jones joins Rangers from Kilmarnock next month after signing a pre-contract in January.

The former Middlesbrough player, who scored the winner for Killie weeks after his deal with Gers was made public, is now desperate to impress Steven Gerrard.

Ibrox new boy Jones insists he has no interest in dining out on wearing the famous badge — he just wants to deliver success.

He said: “Since January when the move was announced I’ve obviously been trying to focus on Kilmarnock, but it is quite hard.

“Now I’m itching to get started at Rangers and put my marker down.

“I have no doubt we are going to win the league at some point and hopefully sooner rather than later.

I can’t wait to do that and also getting coached by Steven Gerrard, who was one of my heroes growing up, is really exciting.

“I think he has done a really good job already. He has got Rangers playing a lot better.

“The squad is a lot stronger and the team is a lot more structured.

“Obviously if Steven Gerrard tells you to do something you’re going to do it because he has played at the pinnacle of football, he’s captained his country, Liverpool and has won the Champions League.

“I think the move can only be positive for me and I can’t wait to be part of it. I’m determined to give it a really good go.

“There’s also the attraction of playing European football in front of big crowds.

“I’m not just going there to say, ‘I play for Rangers’. I want to go there and be a real success and I believe I can do that.

"People have asked me if I’d rather go down south. I could have done that, but unless you are joining a big Premier League club there’s no comparison to Rangers. It’s a huge club with a huge fan base.”

Jones will meet up with his Northern Ireland team-mates in Austria for a training camp today ahead of their Euro 2020 qualifiers in Estonia and Belarus next week.

His former Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke, below, begins his reign as Scotland boss after replacing Alex McLeish and Jones believes there’s no better man for the job. He added: “I spoke to him when he got the job and sent him a message to say, ‘Well done and fully deserved’.

“I hope he enjoys it and does well. I have no doubt he’ll be a success.

“As a manager he is brilliant, but his speciality is coaching. He is one of the best, so I’m sure he will shine.

“There will be no players deciding if and when they come in. They’ll have to be fully committed, otherwise the gaffer won’t have them involved.

“That’s just the way it is and I think that’s what Scotland need. I believe he will do really well.

“If any manager can take Scotland back to a major tournament it’s him. I think he’s that good.

“I can’t believe big opportunities haven’t come for him down south because of how well he has done with Kilmarnock and because of his previous record in England.

“But there is no bigger honour then to manage your country.

“Michael O’Neill has done a fantastic job with Northern Ireland and I’m sure Steve Clarke will believe he can do the same.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4314466/jordan-jones-no-doubt-scottish-premiership-rangers/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1559426015

Hopefully this coming season. I couldn’t stand the tension of them playing for a 10th which I have no doubt would have a significant effect on our season that year.

And in fact thinking further on that point we need to keep Morelos for another season unless a truly eye watering offer comes in. There is no way to replace him without a sum of money way north of 10 million. Same might be said of Tav.

If we don’t stop them in this upcoming season they’re really going to pull out all the stops the following season.

I think we should accept it might take a few months for the Lennon effect to reach maximum chaos, which it will, and bring Celtic to a standstill. 

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

I think we should accept it might take a few months for the Lennon effect to reach maximum chaos, which it will, and bring Celtic to a standstill. 

I will happen ?

Tempted to say do you talking on the pitch. However its good to see he is coming in with confidence. We could quite easily have won it this season bar a couple of silly dropped points at vital times.

Actually cant wait to get started again!

9 hours ago, Whosthedado said:

Tempted to say do you talking on the pitch. However its good to see he is coming in with confidence. We could quite easily have won it this season bar a couple of silly dropped points at vital times.

Actually cant wait to get started again!

We've been quite good at close season talk in recent years, the problems have come when the league started.

Less talk about winning the league and more on-field consistency of result, please.

I like Jones as a player and just hope he has the mentality to play at a big club.

Our left wing next season has Murphy, Jones and possibly Grezda plus Middleton vying for places. I wouldn`t be surprised if the latter two will be moved one for good and the other on loan. We shall see.

When I saw him, Jones did well for club and country.