Euro QR4 Draw: Legia Warsaw/Atrimitos v FC Midtjylland/Rangers

I’m going to be honest and say I hope we win a few games and then get put out by one of the big teams. I think we have a real chance in the league this season and we’ll have a bigger chance if we don’t get to the groups. 

Edited by DMAA

3 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I’m going to be honest and say I hope we win a few games and then get put out by one of the big teams. I think we have a real chance in the league this season and we’ll have a bigger chance if we don’t get to the groups. 

Should have said I hope it’s a dodgy refereeing decision which puts us out after a flawless performance

Edited by DMAA

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

NAh, IMHO, we have a stronger pool of players this season about, injuries permitting. Davis, Kamara, Aribo, Jones, Stewart and Co. all look strong and capable and will probably see more action in the Premiership than in Europe. The groups stages would do fine, yet, as you say, I am wary of the latter stages of the qualifiers, when the quality sides enter the frame. Still cannot believe our ride to the group stages last season.

I think we should try our hardest to qualify.  It helps the coefficient, the financial positives are obvious and it's good to put ourselves up against better quality sides.

Having said that, I think it's unlikely that we will, unless we are lucky in the draw.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think we should try our hardest to qualify.  It helps the coefficient, the financial positives are obvious and it's good to put ourselves up against better quality sides.

Having said that, I think it's unlikely that we will, unless we are lucky in the draw.

Why shouldn’t we expect to qualify for the EL group stages? We managed it last season. And we’re a team which has improved since then

34 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Why shouldn’t we expect to qualify for the EL group stages? 

We all have our own expectation levels.  

Looking at some of the teams we could play, I'd say it's a tad unrealistic to expect us to qualify.  But that depends on the draw.  The likes of Wolves and Feyenoord are a big step up from Ufa and Maribor. 

7 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Pocket change compared to UCL. If we win the league we get into the Champions League qualifiers next season. I’m not suggesting chucking games I’m just saying I wouldn’t mind it if we were freed up to focus on the league this season of all season. Our league form was badly affected last season. 

In my opinion we won’t get back to where we were as a club, ahead of Celtic, until we get UCL money. That is the only massive cash reward available to the club. 

I can't recall the figures we made from last season's EL group stages but I'm sure it wasn't far off £10m.  That's a Hell of a lot of money for a club, in our league, that has been through what we've been through.  Stepping stones and all that.  Although, I agree the league is the priority just now (and always should be).

If a club like Wolves or Espanyol knock us out this year it wouldn't bode well for some of the teams we'd face in CL qualifying.  Especially if we're a few million quid short of where we could've been.