Euro QR4 Draw: Legia Warsaw/Atrimitos v FC Midtjylland/Rangers

Ibrox boss Gerrard said: “Daniel isn’t suspended or injured, it’s just a numbers game.

"Daniel has been left out of this squad, but he won’t be the first, and he won’t be the last, big name to be left out.”

Gerrard added: “As the weeks go by I’ll have to make big calls and leave out big players, who are good players, but we hope it’s going to be a 60-game season.

“I’m not going to make a big thing of it. It’s just the way it is. We have big squads and big players, and competition for places.

"It’s normal from week to week that there are changes, who is in and who is out. Daniel is a good player, he played a lot of games for me last year.

“The same could happen again this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he is involved in the competition in the next round if we were to progress.

"Knowing the player, there is always going to be disappointment.

“With any players, if they are not in the 11 or the 18, they are within their rights to feel disappointed.

“But you also expect a level of professionalism where you get on with it, and you fight for the jersey and fight for your place.

“You take it in the right way and take it as a challenge to win the shirt back. That’s what all the top players did that I played with and that’s what I tried to do.”

Gerrard added: “We have seen the two games St Joseph’s qualified through. They will be well drilled.

“We always lay it on the line it is about us. It is about ourselves and believing in our way if we are to get a result here.

“We always show the opposition respect, and I think it is a big mistake if you look too far ahead.

“You have always got to prepare correctly for what it is in front of you.

“St Joseph’s have got good players, they are a good team and they are effective on this surface.

“You’ll not find me or my players being complacent or under-estimating the challenge in front of us.”

Reports claimed Mike Ashley, above, had made contact with Gerrard’s representatives in the hope of luring him to St James’ Park.

But Gerrard insisted: “Fake news. Not that I am aware of.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4461640/steven-gerrard-daniel-candeias-warning-rangers/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1562621535

12 hours ago, alexscottislegend said:

I think the new, improved Docherty could play that role if you're not selecting Arfield. Maybe instead of Kamara? We shouldn't need 2 mainly sitting midfielders for this tie surely? 

I thought SG said Arfield would be left out? 

I'm delighted that SG has finally had the penny drop when it comes to Candieas. For as hard as he works in tracking back, his position is about creating and scoring goals and his return is poor. His crossing is usually poor and I dont recall a player in a long number of years who so often hits a cross/pass which doesnt find their target. For us to progress at home this year (and this afternoon more relevantly), we must find ways of breaking down stubborn well-organised defences and DC doesnt do that anywhere near enough.

I dont dislike Candieas, and he is the hardest working winger I have ever seen, but we need better in that key position this season if we are to achieve our objectives.

Summary: Candeias creates more Goal Scoring chances from open play than any other player in the league (A Goal Scoring Chance is a shot that comes from the heart of the penalty area or a header from within the 6 yard box)

Identifying the Game Changing Playmakers in the Scottish Premiership

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2019/5/2/identifying-the-game-changing-playmakers-in-the-scottish-premiership

image.png.3455c67b1298f17d1bce5c0269ec2c3f.png

2 hours ago, Tannochsidebear said:

I'm delighted that SG has finally had the penny drop when it comes to Candieas. For as hard as he works in tracking back, his position is about creating and scoring goals and his return is poor. His crossing is usually poor and I dont recall a player in a long number of years who so often hits a cross/pass which doesnt find their target. For us to progress at home this year (and this afternoon more relevantly), we must find ways of breaking down stubborn well-organised defences and DC doesnt do that anywhere near enough.

I dont dislike Candieas, and he is the hardest working winger I have ever seen, but we need better in that key position this season if we are to achieve our objectives.

I would say that the word "poor" is used far too liberal here. It is all about opinions, but much of the plaudits (and assists) Tavernier gets is because of the work Candeias does on the right wing.