Euro QR4 Draw: Legia Warsaw/Atrimitos v FC Midtjylland/Rangers

DR article on our first Euroopa League squad

Daniel Candeias has been left out of Rangers' Europa League squad to face St Joseph's in the Europa League.

The Portuguese winger has been a key player for the club since joining two seasons ago but is a shock name not included in Steven Gerrard's squad.

Candeias scored the opening goal of Sunday's 5-0 win over Oxford but won't play in the first round of the European competition.
Rangers were only able to name 22 players instead of the normal 25 due to the lack of homegrown players in their squad.

Transfer news LIVE as Celtic and Rangers plus Aberdeen, Hibs and Hearts eye deals 

Allan McGregor is the only player named in the squad who has come through the Rangers youth system with the likes of Ross McCrorie out on loan.

Other youngsters such as Jamie Barjonas, Josh McPake, Lewis Mayo and Dapo Mebude are all available for use in the games despite not being named because of their age and homegrown status.

But Jamie Murphy is out as he continues his recovery from a serious knee injury that made him miss most of last season.

The winger is aiming for a comeback before the start of the season and could be added to the squad for the next round if Gerrard feels he is in a better place.

Also missing is defender Jon Flanagan who has had surgery on a hernia problem, while back-up goalkeeper Andy Firth also misses out.

All of the summer signings are included, as is Scott Arfield. The Canada captain is likely to miss out on the first leg but will be available for the second.

FULL SQUAD
GOALKEEPERS:
 Allan McGregor, Wes Foderingham, Jak Alnwick
DEFENDERS: James Tavernier, George Edmundson, Connor Goldson, Nikola Katic, Matt Polster, Borna Barisic, Andy Halliday

MIDFIELDERS: Ryan Jack, Steven Davis, Glen Kamara, Greg Docherty, Joe Aribo, Scott Arfield
STRIKERS: Greg Stewart, Alfredo Morelos, Jermain Defoe, Jordan Jones, Jake Hastie

I think the lineup back to middle is straightforward, but the front three is more difficult to pick.

Possibly: 

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Katic - Halliday

Aribo - Davis - Kamara

Hastie - Stewart

Defoe

I'm stumped as to who plays behind Defoe. I chose based on who played 60 minutes on Sunday. 

Rangers have made a change to their Europa League squad list with goalkeeper Andy Firth now appearing instead of Jak Alnwick.

The original squad list appeared on UEFA’s website earlier on Monday with Allan McGregor, Wes Foderingham and Alnwick all named  however it has since been updated to list Firth.

Alnwick joins the likes of Daniel Candeias, Graham Dorrans, Jason Holt, Kyle Lafferty, Jamie Murphy and Jon Flanagan who have all missed out on places for various reasons.

With no major reports of a move in the offing for Alnwick as yet, it may just have been an administrative error on UEFA’s part which saw Alnwick originally listed – with the original reports still naming the goalkeeper.

As the squad registration deadline for the first Europa League qualifying round passed at midnight on Friday, it seems an odd mistake to have been made.

Allan McGregor is expected to start in goal against St. Joseph’s tomorrow so it isn’t a huge change however it will be interesting to hear what the explanation is.

Alnwick has only managed a handful of appearances for the Gers since his arrival and spent last season on loan with Scunthorpe United.

The keeper has one year remaining on his Ibrox deal and with McGregor, Foderingham and Firth all at the club, and Robby McCrorie out on loan, there is plenty of cover in that position.

If Alnwick’s removal is a hint at an upcoming transfer then it could also signal that Foderingham will stay at the club and challenge McGregor for the gloves.

https://www.rangersnews.uk/news/rangers-remove-keeper-from-europa-league-squad-could-be-on-the-move/

5 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I think the lineup back to middle is straightforward, but the front three is more difficult to pick.

Possibly: 

McGregor

Tavernier - Goldson - Katic - Halliday

Aribo - Davis - Kamara

Hastie - Stewart

Defoe

I'm stumped as to who plays behind Defoe. I chose based on who played 60 minutes on Sunday. 

I think the new, improved Docherty could play that role if you're not selecting Arfield. Maybe instead of Kamara? We shouldn't need 2 mainly sitting midfielders for this tie surely?