Club1872 update on BBC

19 hours ago, Bill said:

The point about having our own radio commentary is an excellent one. I think it could be key to future relationships with the BBC.

If Club 1872 could take this on as a project, that could really be a lasting legacy and a real catalyst to changes with the BBC.

Just now, Gaffer said:

If Club 1872 could take this on as a project, that could really be a lasting legacy and a real catalyst to changes with the BBC.

A Rangers radio service would want to be available to all and not just by subscription. I’m not sure how you achieve that. 

7 minutes ago, Bill said:

A Rangers radio service would want to be available to all and not just by subscription. I’m not sure how you achieve that. 

You're right and I meant for all fans and not just Club 1872.  It won't take off unless it's free to all, and there are all the Aberdeen, Celtic and Hibs fans who will want to hear it too so it should be available to anyone.  I'd hope Club 1872 would take on projects for the greater good and not just the members.  As a member I'd be delighted if the funds went towards this rather than buying shares.

3 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

You're right and I meant for all fans and not just Club 1872.  It won't take off unless it's free to all, and there are all the Aberdeen, Celtic and Hibs fans who will want to hear it too so it should be available to anyone.  I'd hope Club 1872 would take on projects for the greater good and not just the members.  As a member I'd be delighted if the funds went towards this rather than buying shares.

My sense of it is that it’s too late for Club1872. They nailed their colours to a different mast and have shown little appetite for a wider role. Just as the old RST became internally focussed and largely impotent, I think it will be Club1872’s successor that helps deliver projects like this. That said, it’s really for the club to provide something like a radio service. 

Does anyone one know if any other clubs already do this?

20 hours ago, Gaffer said:

Thanks for that insight!!!

Its useful to read the facts rather than rely on my own experience of it.  A lot of that really surprised me.  I've just asked the kids who are now in their twenties and they said that neither they nor their friends would ever listen to radio at all, but it just shows a lot of young people still are.  You are right that the younger ones get everything they need through YouTube channels and similar.

On your last point about a Rangers radio station for commentary, I wonder how possible/difficult that would be.  I have RTV and it's transformed my enjoyment of watching our away games.  If the commentary was available somehow free of charge via a radio station I am certain it would be successful.

There is however one stage next year when I would want to tune in to the BBC football radio station whatever that is, and that's when we win 55.  I just want to hear the pain in their voices.

You need a licence to broadcast radio in the UK, Ofcom manages the process and they're not expensive (a few hundred pounds) if you want to broadcast using DAB. However, you do need to know what you're doing technically, you'll need kit and an engineer at least to set up broadcasts from the ground(s). You also need to buy access to a satellite so the broadcast reaches the radios of those listening, I've no idea what that costs. The big thing needed is the agreement of the SPFL and the SFA, without their agreement nothing can happen. I don't know if the BBC have exclusive radio rights, certainly the fact no other radio station broadcasts commentary suggests they do. If that was the case the whole thing is moot anyway. 

I'd be very surprised is the club haven't explored this. A Rangers specific radio station, broadcasting interviews, previews, match commentary and the like would do pretty well I suspect and could use the existing content being created for Rangers TV already. As I said I'd be surprised if they've not explored this. Maybe someone like 4 Lads would know. 

On 01/08/2019 at 13:55, JohnMc said:

You need a licence to broadcast radio in the UK, Ofcom manages the process and they're not expensive (a few hundred pounds) if you want to broadcast using DAB. However, you do need to know what you're doing technically, you'll need kit and an engineer at least to set up broadcasts from the ground(s). You also need to buy access to a satellite so the broadcast reaches the radios of those listening, I've no idea what that costs. The big thing needed is the agreement of the SPFL and the SFA, without their agreement nothing can happen. I don't know if the BBC have exclusive radio rights, certainly the fact no other radio station broadcasts commentary suggests they do. If that was the case the whole thing is moot anyway. 

I'd be very surprised is the club haven't explored this. A Rangers specific radio station, broadcasting interviews, previews, match commentary and the like would do pretty well I suspect and could use the existing content being created for Rangers TV already. As I said I'd be surprised if they've not explored this. Maybe someone like 4 Lads would know. 

They already have a podcast but that is easy. They may have discussed Rangers Radio but it is a dead end as the BBC have the contract for Radio and to show highlights. It is up for grabs after this season but I doubt clubs would be interested on putting in bids against them

BBC Scotland and SPFL agree new TV, radio and online deal

BBC Scotland and SPFL agree new TV, radio and online deal

Celtic captain Scott Brown lets fly against Rangers in their recent Scottish Cup semi-finalThe return of regular Old Firm clashes will be a feature of next season's Scottish PremiershipBBC Scotland has agreed a new four-year deal with the Scottish Professional Football League to cover matches across television, radio and online.It will mean enhanced match coverage on the Sportscene programme, additional social media clips and highlights on the BBC Sport website.SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: "This is fantastic news for Scottish football fans."He said it was "a new and significantly improved deal for both parties".The agreement means that BBC Sport Scotland will continue to provide television and online highlights and live radio commentaries of Scottish Premiership, Championship, League One and League Two matches from season 2016-17."Everyone at the SPFL is delighted that our long-standing partnership with BBC Scotland has been extended by another four years," said Doncaster."During the process of negotiating with the BBC, the SPFL board has been very robust and clear in its view of what we believe Scottish football coverage is worth and we are pleased that this has been taken on board and reflected by an improved agreement."As part of that, we're also delighted that supporters will see enhanced match coverage, which we'll provide to the BBC as part of the new contract."We look forward to working with BBC Scotland's excellent team of sports producers and journalists in the four years ahead, covering our national sport and bringing the very best of the SPFL action to TV and radio audiences."'This will benefit Scottish football as a whole'BBC Scotland head of sport Ewan Angus was also "extremely pleased" to extend the partnership."BBC Scotland's main aim was to provide supporters with improved coverage while also ensuring we get value for money for everyone who pays the licence fee," he said."We firmly believe this new deal will benefit Scottish football as a whole by enhancing Sportscene's match highlights through increased camera provision and also allowing us to offer footage for fans on social media."The new BBC contract was approved by Scottish Premiership clubs and the SPFL board.The announcements follows news earlier this season that Sky Sports and BT Sport will continue to broadcast live Scottish Premiership matches until the end of the 2019-20 season.5 May 2016

•  

Thanks to @pete for digging that out. So if the tv, radio and online deal with the BBC ends at the end of this season, we must be strongly putting our influence into the SPFL to not consider BBC when the new contract is being tendered on the basis that they have completely fecked us over for the entirety of the existing deal and not allowed our fans to get the same coverage as all the other clubs.

10 minutes ago, Tannochsidebear said:

Thanks to @pete for digging that out. So if the tv, radio and online deal with the BBC ends at the end of this season, we must be strongly putting our influence into the SPFL to not consider BBC when the new contract is being tendered on the basis that they have completely fecked us over for the entirety of the existing deal and not allowed our fans to get the same coverage as all the other clubs.

Totally agree, I think we should make our own deals tbh.