[FT] FC Midtjylland 2 - 4 Rangers (Morelos 43; Aribo 52; Katic 56; Arfield 70)

1 minute ago, ian1964 said:

The Scotsman must have seen the comments about the media only reporting on negative fan behaviour. Credit to them for this to be fair because a fair few won't do the same.

11 hours ago, Bill said:

I had a pretty flawless service from RTV tonight.

After posting this my internet went down so obviously a problem with cable.de which is Vodaphone.

I don't see the result getting the praise it deserves nor Gerrard getting the praise he deserves. All three Scottish teams playing away and we were the only team to win and not just nick a win.

We won handsomely against a side we all agreed beforehand were far and away the toughest test yet and arguably the best side any of the Scottish Scottish teams were playing. Personally I can't offhand remember a Scottish team scoring 4 goals away at this advanced stage of qualification.

As for the manager he inherited a side that had fallen at QR1 the year before and now looks well capable of taking us to the groups two out of two. He has a remarkable record in Europe that can't have been bettered so quickly by too many 'rookie' managers. And perhaps none who came into the situation he did with just weeks to build a side that got to the groups at his first attempt.

And I agree with something Gerrard said afterwards tonight. He said "I'm not sure we had this performance in us last year but I think we've gone up a level" and I think there has been ample evidence of that since the beginning of pre season.

So far I haven't seen much media or otherwise credit for this stunning result but one way to put another hole in their silence bubble would be to carry this type of form on to Sunday.

With it being the first home game of the domestic season and following such a fabulous Euro result Gerrards appeal in the post match interview for Ibrox to be rocking on Sunday is highly likely to be fulfilled. He said there would be a 'few changes to freshen it up'

On the evidence to date Hibs don't stand a chance given that this is our first home domestic game and we're on a roll. They're nowhere near as good Midtjylland and no matter what the 'few' changes will be we have extreme danger in more than one configuration.

If Hibs end up pinned back and making it difficult I just don't see them holding back the tide indefinitely. Keep in mind that the strongest feature of Midtjylland was their defence particularly at home and we put 4 past them. Much the same is a realistic possibility against Hibs.

Hibs on their own ground last week laboured to beat relegation candidate St Mirren and took until the 85th minute to get the goal for a 1-0 win. A win in which St Mirren recorded 14 shots at goal to 13 for Hibs with both recording 5 shots on target.

I have to conclude that Rangers at Ibrox will be a level too far for Hibs. Now if that did indeed come to pass with us recording an impressive performance and a handsome win: then within the space of a few days it would have become ever harder for them to not give some credit even if it were only grudgingly.

I'm hoping one of the 'few changes' isn't Aribo. He can battle for a ball with the best plus make long runs at speed into danger areas and I don't want his run of starts broken. He might get even better with consistent starts.

17 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I don't see the result getting the praise it deserves nor Gerrard getting the praise he deserves. All three Scottish teams playing away and we were the only team to win and not just nick a win.

At midnight yesterday the BBC website still hadn't acknowledged that Rangers had played, let alone won. There was however a feature on the unlucky Dons. But since we all know the BBC is a gang of bitter shitwipes it's difficult to be surprised. 

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/rangers/you-created-a-wonderful-atmosphere-rangers-fans-lavished-with-praise-by-danish-police-1-4980058

Rangers fans have been lavished with praise by Danish police.

More than 700 supporters of the Ibrox side took in their team's 4-2 win over FC Midtjylland at the MCH Arena.

Alfredo Morelos gave Steven Gerrard's men a half-time lead before Joe Aribo and Nikola Katic put the side three up. The Danes hit back and brought it back to 3-2 but Scott Arfield added what could prove to be a crucial fourth for Rangers.

It was reported on Wednesday that Midtjylland had increased security for the match following incidents at Rugby Park on Sunday for the Govan side's opening league fixture.

However, as expected by the Danish side's security manager, Lars Pedersen, who said the club's impression was that Rangers fans "are ordinary people who just want to enjoy themselves and enjoy a good football match", there were no incidents to speak of.

And that was backed up by local police who tweeted praise for Rangers and their fans. 

MV-Jyllands Politi posted: "Congratulations to Rangers FC. What a match! Together with FC Midtjylland fans you created a wonderful athmosphere at the stadium. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Herning. We wish you a safe jouney back to Scotland."

A Rangers fan replied: "When ticketing systems & turnstiles are properly governed,when the local police and stewards welcome you, when the local pubs and restaurants entertain you, we do love to mix with others and enjoy the atmosphere and occasion. Thanks for having us and showing others how it’s done."

Another said: "It's amazing how far a bit of mutual respect will go ... it will never catch on in Scotland!"