Rangers v Stranraer: Press Conference

16 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I would much prefer to see Patterson get a start. By all accounts he played well recently. 

Flanagan's not very good, generally -- although he's dependable in certain, defensive, situations.  

Polster, maybe, but I'd prefer the youngster. 

Stranraer is surely the perfect opportunity to give him a chance to prove himself. He is regarded by some as the number 1 prospect coming through the ranks and it's being said he is being groomed to be Tavernier's backup next season. The system we play requires the full backs to provide an attacking threat and that suits Patterson much more than it does Flanagan and Polster.

9 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

It's a real slap in the face to Morelos and the general support by the directors/management.

Correct and I will be annoyed if they were!.

The club simply has to back the players & fans over this continuous onslaught from the Scottish gutter press, however I have my doubts, and there is no point saying anything in private behind closed doors as that simply doesn't work!.

27 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Stranraer is surely the perfect opportunity to give him a chance to prove himself. He is regarded by some as the number 1 prospect coming through the ranks and it's being said he is being groomed to be Tavernier's backup next season. The system we play requires the full backs to provide an attacking threat and that suits Patterson much more than it does Flanagan and Polster.

Dunno what people do NOT see in Flanagan and Polster here? IMHO, neitherhas been given much of a chance and when Flanagan was asked to play (left back), it was in games where his priorities were defending rather than playing wing-back. Sometimes you get the idea that the more Tav and Borna are being talked up, the more the abilities of Flanagan and Polsterare being talked down. SG bought Polster for a reason and he knew him quite well.

IMHO, it is not the management`s team to throw in youngsters. Granted, Stranraer might be a good game for Patterson, as they probably won`t offer that great a threat. In league business, it will be somewhat different.

50 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Dunno what people do NOT see in Flanagan and Polster here? IMHO, neitherhas been given much of a chance and when Flanagan was asked to play (left back), it was in games where his priorities were defending rather than playing wing-back. Sometimes you get the idea that the more Tav and Borna are being talked up, the more the abilities of Flanagan and Polsterare being talked down. SG bought Polster for a reason and he knew him quite well.

IMHO, it is not the management`s team to throw in youngsters. Granted, Stranraer might be a good game for Patterson, as they probably won`t offer that great a threat. In league business, it will be somewhat different.

Flanagan doesn't offer the same attacking option as Tav or Patterson. Our style of play has changed slightly since we last started with Flanagan, with the wide forwards being moved inside more and therefore having an attacking full back is extremely important to us.

Polster would offer a more attacking option than Flanagan but probably not as much as Patterson. However given he has been told he can leave, I doubt he'll be picked.

It's worth remembering that our only league defeat was with Flanagan in the team, and his lack of attacking was one of the major deficiencies of the team that day,

30 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Flanagan doesn't offer the same attacking option as Tav or Patterson. Our style of play has changed slightly since we last started with Flanagan, with the wide forwards being moved inside more and therefore having an attacking full back is extremely important to us.

Polster would offer a more attacking option than Flanagan but probably not as much as Patterson. However given he has been told he can leave, I doubt he'll be picked.

It's worth remembering that our only league defeat was with Flanagan in the team, and his lack of attacking was one of the major deficiencies of the team that day,

The team was 2-0 up and completely crushing that game.  Flanagan was part of that.  The entire team capitulated in the second half so it's quite unfair to single out him.  I agree he offers no attacking threat on the left hand side because he had to cut inside every time, but I think he deserves a chance to play on his preferred side on the right.  He's done more to deserve it than the young guys.

16 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

The team was 2-0 up and completely crushing that game.  Flanagan was part of that.  The entire team capitulated in the second half so it's quite unfair to single out him.  I agree he offers no attacking threat on the left hand side because he had to cut inside every time, but I think he deserves a chance to play on his preferred side on the right.  He's done more to deserve it than the young guys.

Are we talking about a different game? We lost 2-0, and the team were crap for the whole game. I'm not singling him out per se but it was one of bad team selections that Gerrard made that day. It wasn't the only one but we suffered due to a lack of attacking options, and it was an area that Celtic targeted.

In the one opportunity I've had to compare Flanagan and Patterson was against Wrexham. Patterson was the best player on the park when he was on, and then when Flanagan over to right back he was relatively anonymous.

I'm not sure why "deserve" comes into it. We complain that youths don't get a chance in the first team and there's no path for them to progress, but when we have the opportunity to blood a youngster with huge prospects, we don't want to take it? If the likes of Leon King see Patterson get the opportunity then it might persuade him to sign a contract.