Trump Turnberry now sponsoring Rangers

24 minutes ago, compo said:

I suppose I must be a guilty person because I used a lot of influence on some planning committees,  even some Brown envelopes. 

Expect a thunderous knock on your door at 3am tomorrow.

Not too late to edit out your two posts.

It'll be interesting to see how all of these partships affect our bottom line.  I'm just glad to see our commercial department performing.  Obviously we need to sort out the SD situation (which I expect to happen in the next 6-9 months), and then we should be generating decent non ticket income.  And if they hopefully sort out the food situation at Ibrox, I'll be happy to start giving them more matchday income too.  I've perhaps subconsciously steered this onto my big bug bear about going to games.  I always have to get something to eat and drink before going to Ibrox.  The food is not even as nice as disgusting there.

I dislike Trump but I can't say I'm too bothered about this. It's very unlikely he's got anything to do with it or is even aware of it.

Surely we're not at the stage of having to watch what our political views are to see whether people will deal with us? We've seen it here in Scotland where there's been calls of boycotting certain companies, eg Tunnocks, where the owner has different political views.

People are allowed different views, but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't deal with a company that they're involved in just because you disagree with hem politically.

4 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Obviously we need to sort out the SD situation (which I expect to happen in the next 6-9 months), 

The court cases aren't scheduled until 2021 and there will then be appeals so I'm expecting it to run for many years to come.

I hope you're correct, but I have my doubts.

I played at the Rangers golf day in October and it was an excellent day out with lots of legends and bears turning out.  

The Ailsa course is one if not the top golf course in the UK, so from a purely golf perspective, should there be some commercial advantages to both parties in terms of this partnership then why would we not?  We can take issue with Trump's politics, but from a golfing perspective, its a prestigious venue and course to be associated with.  

Having never previously played there, it is clear that a significant amount of time and money has gone into upgrading the course and facilities.  That is money in the local economy, and importantly, jobs.

That said, I have no issue with anyone who objects on a moral or political basis.  I just choose to look at the wider picture and would jump at the chance to play there again.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

The court cases aren't scheduled until 2021 and there will then be appeals so I'm expecting it to run for many years to come.

I hope you're correct, but I have my doubts.

In any normal dispute of this kind, each side will use the courts to dilute the contents of contracts until both sides get to the stage where they settle.  I feel that we are at that stage now and both sides are likely to settle if there's a sensible first offer to work with.  I'll be really surprised if this is still ongoing after the end of this year.  If it is, I'd expect the shareholders to be asking serious questions of their respective boards because it's a complete waste of money.

Maybe our board can invite the SD reps up for a game of golf, afterall its a great place to do deals.  Maybe a wee visit from the US president can help sweeten the deal.  Maybe that is what Farage was doing over there. ?

Is anyone seriously saying Trump is any worse than (say) Bill Clinton or that useless posing pouch Obama? Why has it become de rigueur to say things like “I don’t like Trump but ...”