[FT] St Johnstone 2 - 2 Rangers (Kamberi 50; Aribo 71)

12 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can't disagree with any of that. Hagi and Kamberi have been good acquisitions but they have been outweighed by the slump in form from so many others. If we can't hold on to a lead and press for another to make the game safe then we on a hiding to nothing. How many games have we lost or drawn from winning positions? To fucking many. How many have Celtic lost or drawn from the same? Next to none. That comes down to lack of character and lack of belief. Until we actually win a league we won't believe we can. It's a catch 22.

Losing the LC is starting to look more significant. 

While the management have to take some of the flak, I feel they are being let down by the players and the players deserve the most criticism.

Kamberi was the only player showing the hunger for a win, Aribo had a decent game and that's about it.

We have gone from an exciting team to watch to a nervous/dread experience watching the games.

The league was gone before this match, however any real hope has vanished due to the capitulation since the break, embarrassing today.

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

Sooner Helander is back the better!!  It's pretty clear now who out best partnership is at the back.

Yes, absolutely, at least no more debates. Although Helander is slow and if caught out of position we get in trouble, but he is better and more composed than Katic 90% of the time. 

For all our defensive frailties, when do we stop with this "3"-up top stuff when we don't have the personnell? Hagi is a creator, not some rightish attacker. Kent is serioulsly out of shooting form, as is Morelos. Arfield performance standard was up and down as well. Yet we play them time and again. Kamberi was a revelation when he came on, Stewart is always good for a spark ... and dare I say it, Jones looks a player compared to Kent now. Dunno whether SG won't admit that his 7m star signing is off form, but we need to change things.  Same with our captain, who simple is not delivering

Anyone on the bench right now can't do much worse, so let them loose please.

Dare I say that SG could be doing with an experienced coach/manager at his side for 6-12 months? 

Would SG feel that this type of move would "undermine" him? Could SG improve with an auld heid sat next to him during games? 

I fully support the manager, I think he can take us places, maybe he could be doing with a helping / guiding hand? 

Katic and Goldson were both poor again.  I'm honestly not sure what Katic was attempting for the St Johnstone equalizer.

Gerrard brought Edmundson in for a couple of games but he made a couple of mistakes.  That's fair enough since he is clearly fourth choice and neither cost us a match.

This leaves us with a problem though.  Gerrard will find it difficult to manage the performance of his central defence until Helander becomes available again.

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Dare I say that SG could be doing with an experienced coach/manager at his side for 6-12 months? 

Would SG feel that this type of move would "undermine" him? Could SG improve with an auld heid sat next to him during games? 

I fully support the manager, I think he can take us places, maybe he could be doing with a helping / guiding hand? 

That’s not the answer, and yes, it would undermine Stevie, Gary Mac, and the rest of the management team. 

It’s a player ‘expectation’ problem in my view.  The thing is they need to do 3 things all of the time: 

1. Press high - and give them no time on the ball

2. Win our physically battles - and win every 50/50 ball - don’t get bullied 

3. Move the ball forward quicker with one touch moves. 

I believe when we are doing that we succeed or even when we are playing a team that try doing that to us we struggle. 

However, it’s not easy to be technically good, physical and slick for 90 mins, but they are capable and get paid well to do it. 
I don’t blame SG or his team, the tactics are not the problem, I just don’t know if the players can empty the tank every week - be prepared to die in the shirt every week. Take your pick - any player - we’ve put every single one on a pedastal at some point or another only to be disappointed when they cannot live up to our heightened expectations. 

But, you may argue that we should be able to beat bottom of the league teams without getting into 2nd gear, but it’s simply not true. They will have their days and can pick us off when we’re not at it, it’s the same in any league. 

These players are still young and learning - and as we cannot buy the finished articles it should be no surprise that we’re where we are. With celtic on such form - we literally need players that can perform at an optimal level almost every week - and that collectively, no more than 2 or 3 are of their game. 

We’re praising young Hagi right now and chastising young Kent - but it could easily be the opposite in 2 weeks time. 

I don’t know what the answer is - apart from buying a new spine for the team - proven, experienced players. To do that we would have to sell our highest value assets when presented with the opportunity..... and be patient.