[FT] St Johnstone 2 - 2 Rangers (Kamberi 50; Aribo 71)

Weebluedevil - good post, makes sense, but just my opinion that we need some experience to 'steady the ship'.

It's strange as when we are good, we are very good and look capable of beating anyone. However when we drop even a slight level, we look like we've never seen a football before. 

100% behind SG as we need stability and SG has shown improvement especially in Europe. 

It's also worth remembering that 6 years ago today, we draw 3-3 with Stenhousemuir at Ibrox..... 

I’ve only seen the highlights and the most concerning thing was there weren’t many. Our best player at the moment seems to be Flo Kamberi who was robbed of a good assist by Morelos who should have buried the game. I think Gerrard bears some responsibility here for starting favourites like Kent ahead of players who are producing much more. 

18 hours ago, CammyF said:

Dare I say that SG could be doing with an experienced coach/manager at his side for 6-12 months? 

Would SG feel that this type of move would "undermine" him? Could SG improve with an auld heid sat next to him during games? 

I fully support the manager, I think he can take us places, maybe he could be doing with a helping / guiding hand? 

He has an experienced coach and an experienced manager in his team already.

What he could do with most is his players taking responsibility for THEMSELVES on the pitch and think more quickly e.g. on several occasions on Sunday a quick throw in could have resulted in forward momentum but each time was left to the full-backs especially by Katic.Are the backs the only authorised throw in takers in our team???.

15 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

The thing is they need to do 3 things all of the time: 

1. Press high - and give them no time on the ball

2. Win our physically battles - and win every 50/50 ball - don’t get bullied 

3. Move the ball forward quicker with one touch moves. 

I believe when we are doing that we succeed or even when we are playing a team that try doing that to us we struggle. 

I'm afraid we're not going to press to the extent required with a 60+ match season.

We definitely need to start moving the ball quicker.  One touch passing started to resurface against Braga when we realised how much pressure we were under in midfield.  Why don't we see it in the SPFL?

It's quite depressing to watch.  If you count the touches each time you tend to reach 3 and conclude that nothing is going to happen.  While our players dwell on the ball the opposing team assemble into a line of 4 and a line of 5.

2 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

What he could do with most is his players taking responsibility for THEMSELVES on the pitch and think more quickly e.g. on several occasions on Sunday a quick throw in could have resulted in forward momentum but each time was left to the full-backs especially by Katic.Are the backs the only authorised throw in takers in our team???.

That's been the case for as long as I can remember.

The team has to take one of two approaches and stick to it.  Either we continue always leaving it to the fullback or we always go for the quickest possible throw in.

I'd like to see us try the quick approach but then the spfl only use one ball for some reason.

Gerard had made some great substitutions this week, turning around the Braga game as well as this one but then decides to bring on Steve Davis to 'secure the game'.   I had a bad feeling as soon as he did that and frankly we deserve fuck all for such negativity.  The best way to defend a lead is to increase it; we were far superior than the opposition and should have been looking to bury them.

37 minutes ago, T-1000 said:

SG probably brought on Davis to help control the midfield and retain possession and that seems quite a reasonable decision.  We didn't lose the second goal because of Davis but as a result of poor defending.  

Yeh I don’t feel this was a particularly fair criticism of Gerrard. Davis has often been identified as one who can help us see out a game. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Yeh I don’t feel this was a particularly fair criticism of Gerrard. Davis has often been identified as one who can help us see out a game. 

All it would have taken was for Katic to not make 3 massive blunders.  At both goals he hoofed the ball straight up in the air, no distance whatsoever, which immediately put himself under pressure and also Goldson.  At the first he was punished immediately.  At the second it ended up going out for a corner - and that was his third blunder - rather than hoof the ball in the same direction (roughly) as it came.... for some inexplicable reason he thought trying to clear it into the central part of the pitch was the right thing to do.

Three errors, from one player, resulted in 2 goals to the opponent.  I've defended Katic as much as most on here - but he is clearly out of form and confidence.... very similar to the slump in form he had in the autumn/winter of 2018 - he needs to be pulled for his own benefit but the only problem with that is the only real option is Edmundson who also had an iffy game in his last outing - I suppose we could play Aribo at CB seeing as he seems to excel in any position he is played in right now...