SPFL Season declaration challenged legally (ongoing discussion)

Admin, I know the Sun & Record are banned but I feel this article is relevant to the thread, if not then delete.

Roy MacGregor last night shot down accusations that the SPFL has been bullying its members.

The Ross County chairman insists the claims by Rangers and their interim chairman Douglas Park are miles off his experience of dealing with the league.

MacGregor has been sickened by the civil war that has erupted since Friday’s chaotic vote on whether to end the season now.

Asked about the Ibrox outfit’s allegations of clubs being bullied, he said: “No. I don’t think that. We certainly didn’t get any and I’m not sure whether any of that happened.

“There were talks and talks from all sides.

“You will always get lobbying. You saw that from Scot Gardiner’s thing, that he was talking with his people, so I think that’s natural.

“So unless there is anything to prove it was unnatural, we have to be really, really careful.

“What it looks like is one club having a go at the other and suggesting the SPFL are being influenced by someone.

“If there’s been anything Machiavellian going on, I don’t know about it.

“Should there be an inquiry or Neil Doncaster and Rod McKenzie suspended? No.

“I trust the board. The board is made up of clubs and members of clubs we have put on there.

“We have trusted our decision-making to them and they work with the executive to come up with the conclusions.

“If something is presented to the board that they feel an inquiry should happen and things have been happening, then yes. But at the moment clubs have to trust the board and the executive.

“I feel particularly sad that we have got into this situation. It has been out of control.

“When we have nearly a thousand people dying every day, to get down to the emotional stuff like this is quite sad.”

MacGregor reckons it’s vital everyone calms down so Scottish football can plot a path to survival.

He admits self-interest is inevitable when big decisions are being made, but reckons the vast majority of clubs also had others in mind.

And MacGregor urged everyone to focus on what’s best for the game.

He said: “Every club, to a degree, will have to have self-interest, but after that you have to be bigger, look at it and do what’s best for Scottish football.

“And some of them are not putting that into the equation.

“If we don’t have clarity, clubs get less money and income drops by 30 or 40 per cent. I hate to think what Scottish football will look like.

“This is a massive challenge for all clubs.

“Football is going to look very different for a while when this is over.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5486819/ross-county-roy-macgregor-rangers-spfl-resolution/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1586727149

Dundee chief John Nelms prepares to push for league reconstruction guarantee in bid to end SPFL vote impasse

Under-fire Dundee managing director John Nelms is to push for a league reconstruction guarantee to help end Scottish football’s vote chaos.

The SPFL remain hopeful that the Dark Blues can still be persuaded to back their plan to end the season below the Premiership. It hangs in the balance, waiting for Nelms and his board to make a decision.

A photograph of a voting slip, signed by the American and dated Friday, has emerged as proof that the club had intended rejecting the league’s proposal.

In a dramatic move, Dundee decided at the last minute to hang fire and now stand alone as the club that has the fate of the Championship, League One and League Two in their hands.

The top flight have said yes, the third and fourth tiers likewise, leaving just the Championship to be decided. Seven clubs in that division have backed the resolution, including runaway leaders Dundee United, while Inverness Caley Thistle and Partick Thistle have said no. It needs eight to adopt the proposal.

That all leaves Nelms being lobbied and it is understood no fewer than four SPFL board members held crisis talks with the American on Saturday, a clear indication that they think he is not necessarily a hard no vote.

Courier Sport also believes Dundee won’t be saying anything publicly regarding their situation until the dust settles following a stormy few days.

Their strategy going forward, though, appears to be to get a motion passed by the clubs that would give a written guarantee regarding reconstruction for the 2020-21 season, whenever that kicks off.

The plan is believed to be for a 14-10-10-10 set-up that would see them stay in the Championship, with United and second-placed Inverness promoted.

Dundee’s thinking is that it would benefit their own team in the long-term and that it would win the support of the required number of SPFL members.

The problem of relegation from the top division would be solved as Hearts would stay up but the challenge will be persuading other Premiership sides to spread their income across an extra two clubs.

It would, though, allow the millions of pounds’ worth of place money being held by the SPFL to be distributed to cash-starved teams with immediate effect and would give meaning and merit to the Dark Blues’ decision not to vote on Friday.

Nelms, meanwhile, received some sympathy from Ross County chairman Roy MacGregor, whose club backed the SPFL plan.

The Staggies chief said: “I am really sorry for Dundee and John Nelms. He is a fine man.

“For whatever reason, they have decided to hold their position, which seems is what they’ve done, and I’m sure it will be for a genuine reason that will come out in due course.

“For whatever reason, John felt he could maybe be more diplomatic and get a solution if his vote was the critical one.

“It’s very difficult and I wouldn’t like to, as a club, be in that position now.”

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1261153/dundee-managing-director-john-nelms-prepares-to-push-for-league-reconstruction-guarantee-in-bid-to-end-spfl-vote-impasse/?utm_source=twitter

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

I thought Roy MacGregor was better than being a bag carrier for the SPFL. 

Ross-shire is Rangers but County has never been slow at dancing to a bigger club’s tune.

The Staggies chief said: “I am really sorry for Dundee and John Nelms. He is a fine man.

Fine man he may well be, though all he has achieved now is to prove he is a man that lies to other chairmen.

Who would trust him now ? , Oh i forgot ,he's currently in good company with the SPFL, and they're all digging themselves out of that massive hole they've created.

It was all a big misunderstanding, vote passed , nothing to see here.

Police may probe Scottish ballot into voiding the season after Dundee failed to cast their vote before the deadline

• Dundee failed to register their vote on the voiding of the season on Friday
  • Rangers have called for the suspension of SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster
  • Sportsmail has learnt that a number of clubs have concerns over the matter  

By Matt Hughes For The Daily Mail

Published: 22:31, 12 April 2020 | Updated: 22:31, 12 April 2020

Police could open an investigation into the handling of last Friday's mysterious ballot over voiding the season north of the border.

It was declared incomplete after Dundee failed to register their vote. Rangers have demanded the suspension of Scottish Professional Football League chief executive Neil Doncaster and an independent inquiry into the matter. 

Sportsmail has learnt that a number of clubs also have concerns, which they are prepared to take to the police if necessary. 

It emerged at the weekend that Dundee's vote into whether to scrap the season was not cast by Friday's 5pm deadline. 

The Championship club had the decisive vote, with the other second tier clubs voting 7-2 in favour of the SPFL's proposal to end the lower-league season early and 10 of the 12 clubs in the Scottish Premier League backing a dual resolution which also gives the SPFL board the power to curtail the top-flight campaign later. 

The SPFL needed eight Championship votes for the motion to pass, having received support from 75 per cent of clubs in the Premiership and Leagues One and Two. 

The SPFL claimed on Friday that Dundee's voting slip never arrived, a position they then altered by claiming that they were also sent a note from the club which came before the voting slip, stating that any vote they received should not be considered cast. 

Dundee had been thought to be siding with Rangers and Hearts, the only SPL clubs to oppose the motion, with their apparent abstention leading to speculation that they had been pressured by others. 

Rangers are adamant that the season should be completed to protect the competition's integrity, and have not given up hope of catching Celtic at the top of the table. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-8212711/Police-probe-Scottish-vote-voiding-season-Dundee-failed-register-vote.html