Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I think Buster's point is that so much of the comments so far simply reflect the prior views of the commentator and have little relevance to any value that Graham brings to Rangers ..... and that pre-judging the appointment is both futile and possible counter-productive. With any luck, if he's as effective as we'd like him to be then we'll seldom if ever hear his name mentioned.

One thing we are entitled to as fans though is to question any appointments and how they might project us as individual Rangers fans because we walk down the road wearing Rangers scarves and that defines us not only as supporters but also says something about our values in the eyes of others - hopefully and above all sportsmanship and fairness. Rangers have done a massive amount to try and stamp out sectarianism and it’s not always appreciated.  It’s a valid question to ask if he represents a sectarian organisation. I appreciate Barca’s insight that they are against marrying ANYONE not of the REFORMED faith. That would lessen my concerns rather than if it was just against Catholics (someone needs to update Wikipedia).

For the record I am not a fan of the Catholic Church (or any organised religion) but it’s important to differentiate the theological views of men in pointy hats in Rome from individuals who might just want a bit of comfort in religion, perhaps bereaved or living alone.  

Edited by Walterbear

4 hours ago, Walterbear said:

One thing we are entitled to as fans though is to question any appointments and how they might project us as individual Rangers fans because we walk down the road wearing Rangers scarves and that defines us not only as supporters but also says something about our values in the eyes of others - hopefully and above all sportsmanship and fairness. Rangers have done a massive amount to try and stamp out sectarianism and it’s not always appreciated.  It’s a valid question to ask if he represents a sectarian organisation. I appreciate Barca’s insight that they are against marrying ANYONE not of the REFORMED faith. That would lessen my concerns rather than if it was just against Catholics (someone needs to update Wikipedia).

For the record I am not a fan of the Catholic Church (or any organised religion) but it’s important to differentiate the theological views of men in pointy hats in Rome from individuals who might just want a bit of comfort in religion, perhaps bereaved or living alone.  

Question away. It's probably one of those freedoms we still have. But to what effect? In this case the man DOES have the background being discussed and he HAS ALREADY been given the job. It is what it is. Unless you think he will be sacked because of these criticisms wouldn't it just be best to see what he does with the job? He might be a roaring success or an embarrassing disaster. In time we'll know and that would probably be a good point to criticise or congratulate. I'm certainly not going to discriminate against him because he was or is in the OO, an organisation that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, Walterbear said:

One thing we are entitled to as fans though is to question any appointments and how they might project us as individual Rangers fans

I think you need to take a step back and evaluate your situation if an appointment at the football club you support is of such a concern to you.

As Rangers fans, I'm sure we've all taken our fair share of stick about the club we support, particularly over the past few years.  It's quite easy to deal with, unless you lack belief in yourself.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

I think you need to take a step back and evaluate your situation if an appointment at the football club you support is of such a concern to you.

As Rangers fans, I'm sure we've all taken our fair share of stick about the club we support, particularly over the past few years.  It's quite easy to deal with, unless you lack belief in yourself.

I don’t have to self evaluate just because I rightly want to wear my colours with pride and without inferred prejudice and want an explanation about an appointment. Lack of self belief? Doubt it. 

5 hours ago, Bill said:

Question away. It's probably one of those freedoms we still have. But to what effect? In this case the man DOES have the background being discussed and he HAS ALREADY been given the job. It is what it is. Unless you think he will be sacked because of these criticisms wouldn't it just be best to see what he does with the job? He might be a roaring success or an embarrassing disaster. In time we'll know and that would probably be a good point to criticise or congratulate. I'm certainly not going to discriminate against him because he was or is in the OO, an organisation that doesn't interest me in the slightest.

To the effect that I want assurance that we are doing the right things as a club. It’s a football forum where people debate these things. 

I wrote this in my blog this week & I’ll say it again

His remit is the following 

- sort issues with BBC 

- sort issues with Fare

- sort issues with local politicians

- sort issues with our media 

He has the experience, he has the knowledge and has dealt with many things 

Am I biased? Absolutely but my opinion (mine) is I’m prepared to give him a go 

I’d rather a bluenose who was aware of the challenges we face than a big company who know nothing of our current dilemmas 

4 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

To the effect that I want assurance that we are doing the right things as a club. It’s a football forum where people debate these things. 

Where are you going to find that assurance? Not here I think, all you’ll get is speculative opinion. That wouldn’t reassure me greatly. Besides, if you do or don’t get that reassurance, what then, what practical difference will it make to this appointment? It fair to debate anything, it’s only expecting it to count for anything that leads to disappointment. ?

2 minutes ago, Stevie - 4lads Blog said:

I wrote this in my blog this week & I’ll say it again

His remit is the following 

- sort issues with BBC 

- sort issues with Fare

- sort issues with local politicians

- sort issues with our media 

He has the experience, he has the knowledge and has dealt with many things 

Am I biased? Absolutely but my opinion (mine) is I’m prepared to give him a go 

I’d rather a bluenose who was aware of the challenges we face than a big company who know nothing of our current dilemmas 

Well said. It will be interesting to find out in due course what “sort” actually entails. 

Rangers have a position that needs filled.
They advertise and applicants apply.
Top applicant gets the job after passing interviews.
It is common knowledge that he is a Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist, OO member and DUP councillor.
This is no problem as Rangers operate an 'Everyone, Anyone' policy.
Where is there a contradiction?
Now let's see if he passes muster.
Let's go, Rangers!!