Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

35 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Fair point.  BTW, an apostrophe doesn't require spaces.

I´d just add that a counter argument could be made about what playing clever might look like.

The impression I get is for the confrontational aspect of the PR remit, the club or whoever was in charge have on the whole very much studied what the social media vibe is and reacted accordingly. Basically putting out what they think the support want to hear but without any type of joined up strategy that might bring medium to long term benefit. For example, post SC Final 2016 where you get the general reaction from our messageboards as ¨great statement¨, ¨howitzer¨, ¨boom¨......but there is no follow-up, no strategy attached and it ends up giving detractors ammo to use against us.

That to me, isn´t clever but it might be judged to be practical in the short term if you think that attendance levels-revenue may drop at a time when the same board were putting their hand in their own pockets to cover shortfalls.

edit

ps. new keyboard and I haven´t got used to where apostrohe or quite a few things are yet!

Edited by buster.

4 minutes ago, buster. said:

I´d just add that a counter argument could be made about what playing clever might look like.

It's obviously subjective and the comments on this thread show we all have different ideas about what playing clever might look like.

Personally, I'd like the club to advise supporters that certain press agencies are best avoided and went down a more singular route, by improving our own media channels to the point where Bears have little or no interest in what the BBC or Daily Record have to say.  I'd start by revoking press privileges for those same outlets.

It's more a case of 'we don't need them' than 'no one likes us, we don't care'.  

I'd also like our PR department to confront any misleading or questionable news items about Rangers and do more to stick up for the supporters (although I realise it's down to us, not the club, to cut out the FTPs etc).

There's a red top story today about a historic tweet by our new PR chap, where he refers to Parkhead as the Piggery and they have inserted the word sectarian to describe the comment.  Now, Parkhead was built where there was a piggery and the insult has no sectarian undertones whataoever - so we should be challenging this sort of nonsense publicly.

But that's just my opinion.

1 minute ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's obviously subjective and the comments on this thread show we all have different ideas about what playing clever might look like. 

A lot depends on the actual situation that confronts the board, some of which only they and a few others will be privvy to.

Especially now, as the short term probably becomes the bigger priority.

Ordinarily, you´d be putting forward a more holistic strategy and try to stick with it. 

If I wanted to understand what playing clever meant in this context I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be looking here to find any useful guidance. So far what I've seen is doubt cast on a man before he's even started the job, doubt based on opinions about political parties, the Orange Order, and poisonous drivel issued by every media outlet in Scotland. Then we have the mighty intellectual stride forward that whatever we do we need to "play clever". Personally, I'll wait and see what happens and form my opinions around that. In the meantime he has my backing because the club I support and the leadership I trust have chosen him to do a job of work in all our interests.

The trouble with Rangers’ bridge building is that the folk on the opposite bank don’t want to accept the spans ostensibly because the colour of the girders upsets them but really because those whom Rangers have vanquished time and again now see a chance to contain Rangers at a reduced operating level - high enough to generate income but not high enough to win anything.

I don’t care if Rangers’ PR guy is Attila the h - , er, Leader of a horde of barbaric tribesmen, so long as he is accomplished in the business.

I don’t seem to have read anything about the chap’s previous PR experience and successes. Have I missed it?

13 hours ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

There are many well educated bears who could easily fulfill the role. 

The OO is a completely outdated organisation and any association stops our club moving forward. 

If it is sectarian then you’re 100% correct. The issue you hit on is the public perception. If PR is supposed to be public relations then it seems an unnecessary handicap for the guy to be associated with an organisation that is certainly controversial.