Rangers appoint DUP councillor as Head of Communications and Media Relations

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Different for the Masonic Lodge but dim-witted Tims would not know.

The Catholic Church first prohibited Catholics from membership in Masonic organizations and other secret societies in 1738.
The current norm, the 1983 Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith's (CDF) Declaration on Masonic associations, states that "faithful who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion" and membership in Masonic associations is prohibited.
In 2002, the Catholic Bishops' Conference of the Philippines decreed that:

A Catholic who is a "publicly known" Freemason – who "actively participates" or "promotes its views" or "holds any office" – and refuses to renounce his membership after being warned in accord with 1983 CIC canon 1347, "is to be punished with an interdict," in accord with 1983 CIC canon 1374, including: exclusion from receiving the sacraments; prohibition against acting as a sponsor in Baptism and Confirmation; prohibition against being a member of any parish or diocesan structure; and denial of Catholic funeral rites, unless some signs of repentance before death were shown, regardless, to avoid public scandal in a case where a bishop allows funeral rites, Masonic services are prohibited in the church and prohibited immediately before or after the Catholic funeral rites at the cemetery.
A Catholic who is a Freemason, "notoriously adhering to the Masonic vision," is automatically excommunicated under canon 1364 and is automatically censured in accord with 1983 CIC canon 1331.

Thanks for the responses. I knew the Catholics were prohibited by their own church from joining the masons because the Catholic Church want to control their people through confession and lodges threaten that.  

Can a muslim or Hindu marry an OO member or us it just catholic’s prohibited? That’s where I see the problem and which changes it from a protestant organisation (nothing wrong with being that) to an anti catholic organisation (not a great idea in terms of making club globally attractive). Now it’s up to OO what they want to do but if we are associated at a senior mgt level with a leader of an anti-catholic organisation (if that’s what they are) there has to be a question where the associated hassle is offset by the guys abilities to transform and enhance our global image. 

I guess we will find out. 

9 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

if we are associated at a senior mgt level with a leader of an anti-catholic organisation (if that’s what they are)

You're doing their work for them with comments like this.

The fact that we are talking about whether Orange Lodge members can marry Catholics, or whether Catholics can participate in the Free Masons suggests to me that this appointment could be more hassle than it's worth.

We have just launched an Everyone and Anyone campaign - so for me it is hypocritical for David Graham to be part of this when he is a member of a group who openly discriminate against another group. 

8 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

The fact that we are talking about whether Orange Lodge members can marry Catholics, or whether Catholics can participate in the Free Masons suggests to me that this appointment could be more hassle than it's worth.

We have just launched an Everyone and Anyone campaign - so for me it is hypocritical for David Graham to be part of this when he is a member of a group who openly discriminate against another group. 

Agree with that except pretty certain it’s Catholic Church that stops Catholics from joining the Masons not the Masons. Whereas the OO discriminates only against Catholics. If the OO said it was Protestants only who can marry members I wouldn’t have an issue but it seems to say it’s Protestants, plus everyone and anyone else and even atheists but not Catholics. That’s the definition of discrimination in my book and you’re right it’s pretty surprising in the context of our campaign. 

Edited by Walterbear

14 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

Agree with that except pretty certain it’s Catholic Church that stops Catholics from joining the Masons not the Masons. Whereas the OO discriminates only against Catholics. If the OO said it was Protestants only who can marry members I wouldn’t have an issue but it seems to say it’s Protestants, plus everyone and anyone else and even atheists but not Catholics. That’s the definition of discrimination in my book and you’re right it’s pretty surprising in the context of our campaign. 

Sorry my post wasn't clear - I was not questioning the free Masons. My remarks were aimed at the Catholic Church and OO. 

Edited by Waltersgotstyle

8 hours ago, barca72 said:

Jim McHarg as Grand Master of the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland made that statement.
I would have no way of knowing which advisors had input into its composition.

Can a Catholic join the Orange Order?
The Orange Order is a Protestant organisation.

3 hours ago, Walterbear said:

Thanks for the responses. I knew the Catholics were prohibited by their own church from joining the masons because the Catholic Church want to control their people through confession and lodges threaten that.  

Can a muslim or Hindu marry an OO member or us it just catholic’s prohibited? That’s where I see the problem and which changes it from a protestant organisation (nothing wrong with being that) to an anti catholic organisation (not a great idea in terms of making club globally attractive). Now it’s up to OO what they want to do but if we are associated at a senior mgt level with a leader of an anti-catholic organisation (if that’s what they are) there has to be a question where the associated hassle is offset by the guys abilities to transform and enhance our global image. 

I guess we will find out. 

In the past the organisation explicitly banned Catholics but that is now covered more subtly under the Reformed faith requirement. Protestants who are married to Catholics can't join either.

Can an Orange Order member marry a catholic?
You cannot be a member of the Orange Order while married to a practicing catholic. A catholic has to marry and take the partner to the altar. The truth is that the Catholic Church is opposed to any such order.

2 hours ago, Walterbear said:

Anyone who is not of the 'Reformed faith' covers more than catholics !!