Economic Carnage and what it entails for Rangers

It doesn't matter what actually happens over the next year or so. The point is the board should be hoping for the best and planning for the worst - from what we can see so far it seems they haven't got beyond the first part.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

How would Rangers fans feel if a similar cash-rich Middle-Eastern consortium went for us? Should it be welcomed? Do we want success at any price? My preference is always for Scottish, or at least, British, control. But curious to know what the grassroots feeling is.

I'd rather have Sheikh Mansour than Craig Whyte, so I'm not sure how much nationality comes into it.

1 hour ago, alexscottislegend said:

Secondly, should the Ashley buy-out if it happens increase or decrease the chances of loosening his manacles on us?

It won't make any difference.

4 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I'd rather have Sheikh Mansour than Craig Whyte, so I'm not sure how much nationality comes into it.

Saudi´s at Ibrox 

Instead of Mediahouse, they bring in the Turkish death squad.

?

No foreigner (excluding the offspring of ex-pats) will invest in Scottish football.  The Saudis plough money into the EPL as a means to increase their image or to launder their ill-gotten gains.

For what it's worth my experience of the Saudis is that there is an entire generation that has been brought up with sport (for the first time really) and they are genuinely mad keen on football.  Most follow an EPL or Spanish team as well as one from their own country.  So for me they'd be more welcome as genuine sports fans than many of the others who have 'invested' in football teams.  If a rich Saudi wanted to pump money into our club, I'd be no more suspicious or concerned about that than I would be of any Scottish investor (real fans excluded of course).

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

No foreigner (excluding the offspring of ex-pats) will invest in Scottish football.  The Saudis plough money into the EPL as a means to increase their image or to launder their ill-gotten gains.

That alone would worry me. Just think of the prestige a Champions League-winning Rangers would bring though; you'd think it would atrract some overseas interest.

The glamour of the EPL, the Spanish gruesome twosome and the three big hitters in Serie A is what they're after. 

Soggy afternoons in Motherwell and Dingwall hold no global interest, so there's nothing to gain by associating with Scottish football.

The Scottish Government has now set out its plan to get us out of lockdown.  It's quite simple really ... we will continue to have social distancing until a vaccine becomes available.  As I've been suggesting for a while, this is a disaster for our club, for the economy, but most of all for people's lives (many more of which will certainly be lost as a result of this approach).

Since this is a forum about our club though, let's focus on that.

If the club is able to allow fans back into Ibrox, it is highly likely to be limited.  By how much?  By my own estimation, considering the 2m rule, we would be operating with an absolute maximum capacity of around 11,000, unless the club can fit Perspex separation somehow (which just isn't practical).  This means that we need to reduce our operating costs by around 70%, with all other things being equal.

For how long?  Here's the biggest problem.  According to the UK Government's chief medical adviser, it is unlikely that we will have one for another 12 months.  And then how long will it take to make it widely available?  My own guess is 6 months but that's perhaps optimistic.  So, we can expect to operate with these restrictions on income for at least another 18 months?!?!?

I am deeply concerned what this means.  In some ways it doesn't matter because if this is indeed the approach governments choose to take, football is the least of our worries.  In the future I am certain that our grandchildren and great grandchildren will look upon this time as the biggest screw up ever.  China may or may not have created this virus, but it's our reaction to it that will change our lives forever.  Unbelievable!

Back to our club though ... we need to drastically cut back starting TODAY.  If we wait until other clubs and businesses start, we will not get the same value for our assets.  We need to be having pragmatic discussions with all staff and players to negotiate huge reductions in salaries.  We need to be making all players available for sale, but in such a way that gets maximum value (I.e. managing the perception of a fire sale).  Even if players don't agree I think we need to cut what is paid anyway.  We may end up in court but you have to be alive to be summoned there.

Actually the club has a huge opportunity here too, but,only if it acts right now.