The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

20 hours ago, Bill said:

Who says Lille are the only buyer in the frame?

I’m sure they aren’t Bill. And I do trust Gerrard and the board to manage the situation. But given 2020 form I would be surprised if the fee wasn’t pretty close to that number. 

5 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Well, having some goal-scoring attackers (mind the plural) will be more significant, as we far too much relied on Morelos last season.

Balogun had a fine first game and I wonder whether he might actually be part of a 3-man defence test, with Helander in the middle and Goldson and Balogun on either side. Frees one player for a midfield/attack slot, not least in games where the defense is hardly tested, but has to be wary of counter attacks. Right now, we more often than not have 4 defenders and 2 DMs, which in such games hinders quick forward movement as well as reducing the numbers of attackers in the opposition half. And as long as Tav does not deliver a strong show as wingback, I wouldn't mind chopping him for the sake of a right winger / attacker.

Except we don’t play with 4 defenders and 2 DM’s.  Tavernier and Barisic play so high up the pitch that they are like wingers

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Except we don’t play with 4 defenders and 2 DM’s.  Tavernier and Barisic play so high up the pitch that they are like wingers

... if only they were wingers. De facto, we play with 4 defenders and 2 DMs ... as we see today. Or any other day.

2 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

... if only they were wingers. De facto, we play with 4 defenders and 2 DMs ... as we see today. Or any other day.

No, you’re wrong.  Look at last week up at Aberdeen.  The whole game Barišić was playing beyond the midfield 3.  That makes him, effectively, a winger.

8 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Or maybe you’re right as I just witnessed Barišić crossing from just inside the box to the back post and the player supplying pressure at the back post is.... Tavernier.... and we score from the resultant corner....

Yep, they are definitely playing like defenders when they are both in the opposition box ?

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

I’m sure they aren’t Bill. And I do trust Gerrard and the board to manage the situation. But given 2020 form I would be surprised if the fee wasn’t pretty close to that number. 

?

8 minutes ago, craig said:

Or maybe you’re right as I just witnessed Barišić crossing from just inside the box to the back post and the player supplying pressure at the back post is.... Tavernier.... and we score from the resultant corner....

Yep, they are definitely playing like defenders when they are both in the opposition box ?

De facto 4 defenders and 2 DMs ... and IMHO, had we had one or two more wingers, and one who delivers better than Tavernier for the best part of 2 seasons, we would have had more assists and goals. That assist today as last week's was Tav's only real contribution to the game, at Barasic gets crosses in time and again.

Edited by der Berliner

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

De facto 4 defenders and 2 DMs ... and IMHO, had we had one or two more wingers, and one who delivers better than Tavernier for the best part of 2 seasons, we would have had more assists and goals. That assist today as last week's was Tav's only real contribution to the game, at Barasic gets crosses in time and again.

De facto 4 defenders when Barišić and Tavernier are on the opposing team’s byeline ? ???

1 hour ago, craig said:

De facto 4 defenders when Barišić and Tavernier are on the opposing team’s byeline ? ???

Where they more often than not play don't change their status, but you know that. We could easily play with a right winger in games like today and have more fun than Tav's medicore shooting and crossing. Only the heavens know how many assists and goals a mediocre winger would have given us.