[FT] Bayer Leverkusen 1 - 0 Rangers

3 hours ago, CammyF said:

Well that's been coming- Tav caught sleeping 

Nah, definitely not Cammy.  That was a fantastic ball and a perfectly timed run.  Sometimes you have to simply hold your hands up and accept an expertly executed goal.  That was one of them.

3 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Pretty obvious that it's a reward for a good pre-season. 

The same pre-season that saw him dumped into the development team training sessions instead of the first team ?

It was a bit of a non-event after a really good Euro run.  A strange starting line-up was expectedly outclassed by an impressive Bayer Leverkusen side.

As Gerrard said, we were beaten by a better team. 

I think one of the things the match highlighted was our midfield issues.  If we don't improve that area, I expect we'll struggle to win trophies.

36 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It was a bit of a non-event after a really good Euro run.  A strange starting line-up was expectedly outclassed by an impressive Bayer Leverkusen side.

As Gerrard said, we were beaten by a better team. 

I think one of the things the match highlighted was our midfield issues.  If we don't improve that area, I expect we'll struggle to win trophies.

Agree but if we are talking about the teams shortcomings, I genuinely feel Tav is fast becoming the elephant in the room. He's undroppable but his defending is more than suspect and his poor decision making and passing often lead to us losing possession. Apart from that he's ok...???

No shame in being beaten by a fine team last night but a pity we looked so powder-puff. Good to see Patterson do quite well in his cameo and signs we can play good, quick football when it suits us. Manager needs to ensure that happens more often along with better decision-making.

Disappointed in most players.  Only a few showed flashes of what they were capable of with even guys like Jack and Aribo guilty of giving the ball away far too easily.

However, no SPFL will come close to the level of the Germans so it's important we regroup, starting with a confident win against St Mirren on Sunday.

He's so stubborn in sticking to his 433 formation the shot shy shufflers as I call them that most teams in the league have us sussed change now right now we are playing with a centre forward who's not interested but he still plays him apart from the pretty patterns last night did we have a shot on their goal .

Bayer outclassed us but hopefully the match provides SG with some idea of areas where we need to improve tactically.  When McGregor had the ball Bayer pressed our back line making it difficult to play out from the back.  When as an alternative McGregor kicked long then we invariably lost the aerial dues or didn't hold the ball up thus using possession.  I think this led to us not really gaining a foothold in the match and with Bayer in control which was enhanced by their ability to pass and move.  In contrast, when the Bayer goalkeeper had the ball he had the choice of outlets knowing that not all the back line was marked.  You might argue that perhaps we should have played a more pressing game but given the quality and movement they had I am not sure this would have been any more successful.  Another aspect that is of concern is the limited space within which we play our passes.  Too often players were so close to one another that Bayer were able to intercept the passes or make a tackle.  We have to mix up playing the short passing game with spreading the play and stretching the opposition.   

24 minutes ago, compo said:

He's so stubborn in sticking to his 433 formation the shot shy shufflers as I call them that most teams in the league have us sussed change now right now we are playing with a centre forward who's not interested but he still plays him apart from the pretty patterns last night did we have a shot on their goal .

He had no option last night given Defoe is injured and both Itten & Roofe were ineligible.  Morelos was the only viable option last night.  Wouldnt be surprised to see  him dropped this weekend (assuming he is still here).