[FT] Rangers 3 (McCarthy og 24; Morelos 69, 74) - 0 St Mirren

3 hours ago, Rousseau said:

I don't think McLaughlin is good with his feet at all. 

There was a simple pass, where all he had to do was roll it out to Goldson, but he over hit it and Tavernier had to scramble to keep it in. 

He's a decent replacement for McGregor, but I think his poor feet will cost us chances and goals. 

Right dodgey on a cross as well that nearly let them back in it. 

Made a really good save from the lose ball. 

Seems a good shot stopper. 

I thought McGregor was great v bayer

17 hours ago, Scott7 said:

It’s notable that Kilmarnock’s equaliser, a Burke penalty, came in the 24th minute. Normally you would expect the other team to restore their lead before ht and go on to score several in the second half. Didn’t happen.

I endured the highlights of their game last night.  Their goal was a keeping mistake - Christie scores direct from a free kick from 40 meters ?

Had Kabamba been a bit more pacy he would have been through 1-on-1 in the first half before either side had scored.

Jullien looked like a Sunday pub player.

Killie deserved AT LEAST a point.

But they will also get better - we need to maintain that 2 point gap so that the first OF game heaps pressure on them to get a win to stay in it....

17 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Agreed.

I was getting nervous at the start of the 2nd half, ideally we need to be 2/3 up at HT before we can relax a bit. Having said that we have looked very strong defensively so far this season, Balogun looks the real deal, with Goldson having a very good start to the season.

Ideally we would be pumping teams 3 or 4 nil by half time.  Because that then allows us to get fringe players, and youth players, game time - which is much easier to do this season, if winning comfortably, given the substitutes rule.

15 hours ago, ian1964 said:

Strange how you can go to the pub for a pint or go for a meal, go shopping, get on a bus/train yet football fans can't get to attend matches in an open stadium?.

The problem with football matches is the before, HT and after the match, not the sitting on your bum part. You know how the concourses and food stalls get, the queues to get in from 2.45 onwards, the stairwells at FT, etc. There is not a chance of social distancing happening at stadiums.

I still dont understand how pubs are open ahead of practically anything else, like schools, gyms, churches, sports halls. Pubs are the main reason another wave will happen, and has been happening throughout the world. As soon as alcohol is involved, all normal sensible protocols go out the window as a very large number of people cannot behave with a drink in them. I am happy from a selfish POV that pubs are open, I enjoyed watching the Dolly & Bayer matches in a properly-spaced out pub and had a few pints along the way which was a great feeling after such a long time without, and from an economic perspective we have to try to get our economy back going again. 

I have digressed a bit from the match thread here, so I will also say how much I am looking forward to us continuing our good form against the other Saints mob on Wednesday night and hopefully get to see a bit more from Itten, and see how SG rotates his huge squad in midfield/forward areas.

56 minutes ago, craig said:

I endured the highlights of their game last night.  Their goal was a keeping mistake - Christie scores direct from a free kick from 40 meters ?

Had Kabamba been a bit more pacy he would have been through 1-on-1 in the first half before either side had scored.

Jullien looked like a Sunday pub player.

Killie deserved AT LEAST a point.

But they will also get better - we need to maintain that 2 point gap so that the first OF game heaps pressure on them to get a win to stay in it....

Killie were very comfortable. One thing I have enjoyed so far is how we have been playing first. I think it is better psychologically to be top of the league and playing first to keep it that way. We are about to lose that advantage as they play before us on Wednesday and then at the weekend.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Killie were very comfortable. One thing I have enjoyed so far is how we have been playing first. I think it is better psychologically to be top of the league and playing first to keep it that way. We are about to lose that advantage as they play before us on Wednesday and then at the weekend.

So long as we do OUR job we will be fine.

at this very early stage they are under pressure, even when playing first, to not drop points.  If they drop points in either of their next two games and we dont then we are already 4 points clear which puts huge pressure on them which they haven’t really been under for a decade.

52 minutes ago, craig said:

which puts huge pressure on them which they haven’t really been under for a decade.

Well, they were under huge pressure after December 31st last year and they came through it and we crumbled. We need to show we can match their mental strength because there's no hiding that it's an area we've failed in.

1 hour ago, craig said:

If they drop points in either of their next two games and we dont then we are already 4 points clear which puts huge pressure on them which they haven’t really been under for a decade

I fully expect us to drop points on Wednesday or Sunday, having read that.

16 minutes ago, DMAA said:

Well, they were under huge pressure after December 31st last year and they came through it and we crumbled. We need to show we can match their mental strength because there's no hiding that it's an area we've failed in.

I’d hardly say a point behind at the break was HUGE pressure.  And, unless I’m mistaken, we played ahead of them in the first game after the break and dropped points, reducing the pressure on them right away.