• Borna Barisic
    • Joe Aribo
    • Steven Davis
    • Glen Kamara
    • Ianis Hagi
    • Ryan Kent
    • Alfredo Morelos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/05/21 at 06:41

Ok, I've counted all the votes from the match by match polls but, before I announce the results from that later in the week, I'd like to invite as many forum members as possible to cast a separate one-off vote for their player of the season.

Obviously winning 55 has been an amazing experience but, for me at least, it's all been about the team performances and that's reflected in the sheer number of players that conceivably win this award.

Should it be Allan McGregor - the SPFL Player of the Year - who has demonstrated his worth time after time with incredible one-off stops at key points in many games?

Perhaps you'd prefer Steven Davis - the Football Writers' Player of the Year and the UK's most capped international player - who has played the most games of any Rangers player this season (59) across club and country; showing his class time after time.

This vote wouldn't be worth it without a place for skipper James Tavernier - the PFA Player of the Season. Despite missing ten games in 2021 due to injury, we cannot forget the effect he had on the team match after match right across the season, both in defence and in attack. 

What about Connor Goldson? The Englishman has been a rock in what has been a defensive masterclass from Rangers in this campaign whilst also scoring vital goals in various games.  Not to mention he has played in every minute of Rangers' 56 games this season.

We then have various other players who have consistently done the business right across the season: Glen Kamara, Ryan Kent, Borna Barisic, Filip Helander, Joe Aribo, Ianis Hagi and Alfredo Morelos have all played vital parts in the title win and whilst they haven't won the awards above, they've been consistently involved in our weekly polls. 

Who gets your vote and why?

For me, it has to be James Tavernier.

Whilst I've easily picked an XI of possible winners, the captain has really stood out this season for me. Yes, he unfortunately missed ten games through injury but it says a lot for his fitness and mental strength that he was able to return and play an important part in our final five games of the campaign.

I appreciate the calls for various other players but if we take away some understandable recency bias, then Tav sticks out for his defensive improvements, his attacking play, his taking of responsibility and his overall leadership of the side which stands up to the kind of scrutiny we usually reserve for Rangers legends of the past.

Well, James, you're in that company now for me and few of this current squad deserve it more.

3 minutes ago, compo said:

Lots of deserving candidates but I will go with Connor Goldson Mr constituency in performance throughout the season 

Well, he certainly gets my vote.

On top of his appearance record, his two goals at Parkhead in October really set the tone for the campaign. Particularly the second which left Duff man sprawling on the ground with his head in his hands.

Im sticking with McGregor. He simply lays on the wow factor and takes the breath away with some saves. I dont think his influence can be under estimated also on and off the park. It must give the back 4 confidence to play knowing McGregor is behind you.

For me, it really is a close call between Goldson and Tavenier, although you could argue for many of the others as well. In the end, Goldson gets my vote. To have played every minute of every game, his crucial goals at Parkhead set the tone early on, he slipped in to the captain role seamlessly in Tavs absence. Another small issue sealed it for me. Amongst the celebratory interviews on Saturday, the one with Goldson where Aribo & Kamera "hijacked" it to show there appreciation of the big man, calling him their big brother, was really touching. Well done big man!:yay: