European Championship 2020 (2021)

25 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I feel for Saka.

The Rashford/Sancho substitution could have turned out the stroke of a genius, had they not messed up their kicks royally. But putting a 19-year old on that list of the first 5, man, Southgate got some nerve.

Best team won in the end but England still had it in their hands. Was it a mistake taking on your penalty takers so close to the end? Close but no cigar. I’m disappointed, the country could have done with the lift 

13 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Grown men crying in public maybe. 

Turned off fter the last pen.While I agree manliness is in sore deficit genereally, highest of highs, lowest of lows, carrying a whole nation on your back and you let them down. Younger players who missed the pens hopefully.

Penalties are a bad way to lose a final but they are also a bad way to win one. Italy's last two trophies have been won on penalties.If the match was decided on points then Italy would have won quite convincingly, so I wouldn't argue against the result as such, but there must be a better way of deciding things. Personally I think that the number of players on the pitch should be reduced progressively, creating more space and allowing the match to be settled in open play, rather than a tacked on competition. There is some artificiality in that approach as well, of course, but, while it is one thing to have earlier rounds settled by penalties, it is  bit demeaning for a championship to be decided on them.

It was the old saying of a game of two halves. Italy only started to play like themselves in the second half and could have won it in 90 minutes with a but more composure. England improved when they went to a back 4 but still never got another shot on target.

But overall the best team won both on the night and in the last month. Massive credit to Mancini to take a side who didnt qualify for the last World Cup to go 3 years and now 34 matches unbeaten to become European Champions - this is where Italy and Germany stand out from other European nations. Spain and France have built sides to win tournaments recently but Italy and Germany do it every decade and progress in tournaments to finals. 

I wouldnt blame Saka for the pen - he didnt look confident at all. Rashfords pen was horrendous - you just dont mess around like that in a final. He should have put his laces through it like he did v PSG in the CL a few years ago in the last minute of the match.

I never thought Southgate was a good manager but along with St George's park you can see the progress the England set up have got and they have a great structure in place now and the biggest strength in depth squad they have arguably had. There are no ego's like past squads and they are a good team albeit he could have let the shackles off slightly more with further forward thinking players. 

But Im delighted for Italy and Chiellini especially.

5 minutes ago, compo said:

Wasnt concerned by Italy's first 45 I knew they would prevail in the end and leave old compo £900 to the good ?

Well done chief. A good scoop.