[FT] Lyon 1 - 1 Rangers (Wright 41)

10 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Agreed. Apologies for bringing it to the fore again. Just feel we are too quick to almost write players off these days. 

It's a brilliant headache for the manager to have and it'll be a topic that will be debated until one of them leaves! 

Bassey has been very good in centre of defence but thought his inexperience showed at their goal, not slating the lad, as he is another one with a huge future for us. 

Keeper position is also an interesting debate as Greegs has rediscovered his form but J Mc showed tonight his distribution is top class and what is required at this level.

Looks like Gio still trying to work out how best to fit in our attacking players. Kent and Aribo both automatic starters in my opinion and best two players at the club. 

Plenty to be excited about IMO 

19 minutes ago, Bill said:

Seriously? You’re comparing someone who hasn’t had a game in ages with someone who’s benefited from playing week after week?

That, and that Tav wouldn`t have required 93 mins for a scary moment or two ... against one of the best teams in France.

Edited by der Berliner

I don't like to get too reliant on individuals because of the league we're in.

The job is to ensure we either have good back up players or future signings lined up to replace the likes of Aribo and Kamara.

I think there will be bids for Aribo fairly soon and just hope we can hold on to him until the Summer.

Pretty pleased with that overall. As has been said I thought Barasic was pretty good again tonight defensively and I do agree re TAV/NP I think tonight showed NP still has a bit to go. Aribo made a difference when he came on.

We had to hold frim under real pressure at times in the second half and some of the play from the back was really good. Bring on Hearts

Edited by Whosthedado

It’s easy to get carried away with Gio’s impact after only a few games and forget that Gerrard worked miracles up until this season, but there’s little doubt that Gio has improved us significantly in the short term at least. I really hope he can keep it up, so many positives to take from his first 3 weeks in charge. 

Edited by DMAA

14 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

are they all CL teams? How is that fair?

2nd in EL group plays a 3rd placed CL group team.

Looking at the potential opponents, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll go any further but you never know (I doubt Barcelona or Dortmund will care much about the EL).

32 minutes ago, Whosthedado said:

Pretty pleased with that overall. As has been said I thought Barasic was pretty good again tonight defensively and I do agree re TAV/NP I think tonight showed NP still has a bit to go. Aribo made a difference when he came on.

We had to hold frim under real pressure at times in the second half and some of the play from the back was really good. Bring on Hearts

The return to form of Borna Barisic is a huge bonus. I honestly thought he had played his last decent game for Rangers but the arrival of GvB seems to have lifted him

10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

2nd in EL group plays a 3rd placed CL group team.

Looking at the potential opponents, I'd say it's highly unlikely we'll go any further but you never know (I doubt Barcelona or Dortmund will care much about the EL).

I'd take Barca simply for the £££