[FT] Hearts 0 - 2 Rangers (Morelos 9; Aribo 14)

51 minutes ago, CammyF said:

We might, we might not have lost points today if SG was still the manager, we'll never know for sure.

When SG left us we had lost 1 league game in 52 (iirc), not a bad record and doesn't point to us losing many games.

We done nothing new today. The long ball from Goldson was something we utilised under SG on many occasions.

I'm not downplaying the start we've had under Gio, in fact I'm on record as stating that in opinion Gio can be an upgrade. However, it's up to him to continue the good work of the previous manager and backroom staff. 

But Gio hasn't taken over a team who were struggling, we were top of the league, we were well placed in Europe, we were in a semi-final and they had assembled a great squad of players. Not a bad starting point for the new manager and his team. 

GVB inherited a team which had just lost a LC SF to a struggling hibz team. Yet another domestic cup capitulation. During SG’s reign we got put out of cups by Aberdeen (twice) , St Johnstone, St Mirren & hertz. And there was,of course, the LC final against the yahoos with their offside goal. This needs to change & Im sure Gio knows this.

The one loss in 52 league games you keep referring to includes last season. But last season is now history. Focusing  on this season we were too often nowhere near those standards. Home draws against hertz, Aberdeen & Motherwell for starters.

As I said earlier I do think we’d lost our way a bit under Gerrard but there are already good early encouraging signs under GVB that we’re getting back to where we were last season, particularly in league form. 

7 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

GVB inherited a team which had just lost a LC SF to a struggling hibz team. Yet another domestic cup capitulation. During SG’s reign we got put out of cups by Aberdeen (twice) , St Johnstone, St Mirren & hertz. And there was,of course, the LC final against the yahoos with their offside goal. This needs to change & Im sure Gio knows this.

The one loss in 52 league games you keep referring to includes last season. But last season is now history. Focusing  on this season we were too often nowhere near those standards. Home draws against hertz, Aberdeen & Motherwell for starters.

As I said earlier I do think we’d lost our way a bit under Gerrard but there are already good early encouraging signs under GVB that we’re getting back to where we were last season, particularly in league form. 

Think of the money were saving on Brasso☹️

34 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

I'd happily trade the LC and SC for the league title EVERY season. Gio is yet to manage us in a cup tie, so you can't compare. 

We are and were always going to drop points this season and every season, it's inevitable, it happens to every team. We drop points last season even when we strolled the league. 

I've stated in every post, the early signs are positive but for anyone to say Gio is a better manager than SG after 5 games is utterly ridiculous, and that was the question you posed and I (and others) answered. 

18 hours ago, CammyF said:

Hard to compare as whilst both SG and Gio play 4-3-3 they use it in different ways.

SG overloaded the final 3rd with our full backs being our creative players who both played the majority of the game in oppositions final 3rd. 

Thus far we have looked less "gung-ho" under Gio and he prefers "real wingers" in his front 3 and support from the 2 forward playing midfield (Arfield and Aribo). 

It was interesting seeing how many really good chances we seemed to make from counter-attacks yesterday and on quite a few, the final ball/decision-made was the wrong one, so I wonder if this is something we've been working-on in training but isn't quite there yet.

It’s interesting that, so far, under GvB we’ve become more consistent in our performances. Previously we could be very poor one game and outstanding in the next game.  I think this is down to the defence being much better. Goldson now seems to be commanding again and Barasic is defending well.  Between them they seem to be looking after Bassey, who is improving in his role. A few weeks back there were calls for McGregor to be dropped. Now he seems back to his best.

Not having Tavernier and Barasic so high up so often makes the defence more compact . The team just seems more balanced and playing with confidence.

It could be down to who we have been playing. The Dundee game aside, all the games have been potentially tricky so we’ve not been going gung-ho so there has been more emphasis on having the defence functioning well.

I don’t begin to fully understand the subtle changes in our tactics but I like what I see.