Europa League Draw: Borussia Dortmund v Rangers

Although it's a free hit, in some ways this is still a test of sorts for GVB. I guessed before the old firm that GVBs Rangers wouldn't be as compact and as solid as Gerrard's and it certainly seemed that way.

Gerrard's failures were largely an inability to consistently do the job against smaller teams. In his final season, he overcame that hurdle in the league, though it remained in the cups.

His successes on the other hand were largely his ability to perform very consistently against good opposition; old firm matches and Europe. 

I expect Dortmund will be looking to put this game to bed in the first leg so that they can rest good players in the second leg, but a good manager would still find a way to make things difficult for them so I'm keen to see how we do tactically.

Looking at Dortmund's results, they score a lot but they concede like a mid table/bottom half side. Stopping them from scoring will be near impossible but it seems we need to make sure we have a counter attacking threat because this isn't the defensively solid Dortmund of a number of seasons ago.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

Balogun is out.

Omitting Helander from the European squad seems like madness!

I am pretty certain that when we omitted Helander, it was rather uncertain when or if he might come back into the fray. Omitting Simpson* was equally strange - as we had/have so little back up in that area. We won`t trust (we trust) King (just yet), so it remains to be seen whether we`ll go with Bassey again or just put Sands in there alongside Goldson, with Bassey on the left and Mr. Irreplacable on the right.

More importantly: will Jack be fit to play DM?! (EDIT: he is and hopefully will play) Lundstram did a good job there and I am probably one of the few who would put him in there ahead of Kamara, who simply needs to be switched on from the off, as he has the tendency to dwell on the ball too long if he isn`t. Teams like Dortmund will punish this and press any player with the ball hard. As with Tav, Kent and Aribo are certainties to start no matter what, so it is the midfield that needs to be selected well, Jack, Lundstram, Kamara, Arfield ... who knows.

Up top it should be Morelos and Sakala. We need pace and ability to shoot.

* I must have missed all those games where he was supposedly as rotten as some make out.

Edited by der Berliner