Europa League Draw: Borussia Dortmund v Rangers

It’s sad that in the 22 years since we last played Dortmund a gulf has grown between the sides as football has become all about the top clubs in the top countries and money has completely taken over. We played Dortmund four times in the late 90s. Two 2-2 draws in 96 and a 2-0 win each in 99. Very close games with Bayern in 99 too. Changed days now though. 

Acht well, Europe parked until February, concentrate on the league until then give it our best shot.

Think we've done well in Europe again this season so no disgrace if / when we are knocked out. 

League is #1 priority

My father used to say if were going to get stuffed better to get stuffed by a right good team this was back in 1963 just before he flew out to Madrid to watch us get beaten six nil and we were lucky to get that nil🤣

Now then, GvB and Claudio Reyna played for Rangers, under DA, and were, I am told, best mates, so much so that Claudio's son is called Giovanni, and he, coincidentally, is plying his trade as a pro footballer at......Dortmund. 

Edited by Uilleam

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

Acht well, Europe parked until February, concentrate on the league until then give it our best shot.

Think we've done well in Europe again this season so no disgrace if / when we are knocked out. 

League is #1 priority

Agree with this, enjoy the occasion. If we go out then we focus on the league & cup. We have made Europe post xmas which was always the goal.

23 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I may not have been paying attention.

How did we end up with the hardest draw when we were seeded?  What was the benefit of being seeded? 

It's not a dumb question but Dortmund missed out by finishing third on goal difference; the third team in the CL were not meant to be a top side!

3 minutes ago, alexscottislegend said:

It's not a dumb question but Dortmund missed out by finishing third on goal difference; the third team in the CL were not meant to be a top side!

What a scam by UEFA really. The seeds should have been the 4 best EL group runners up and the 4 best 3rd place CL drop outs. 

So it was impossible for us to be unseeded and the CL drop outs to be seeded. I suspect UEFA fully intended it to be that way pairing the CL teams with the runners up of the lesser competition, in the hope they keep the biggest names alive in the EL. 

Can't believe I have just cottoned on to this. It will be interesting to see how many 'seeded' teams get through to the last 16. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 8. 

That said, I prefer a glamour tie anyway, would have taken Barca, but Dortmund will do. I hope all the seeded teams win and a GIRFUY to UEFA. (Well, apart from Sheriff, hope they progress).