[FT] St Mirren 0 - 4 Rangers (Roofe 2', 45+4', 50'; Aribo 76')

I miss the days when a striker’s main job was to score goals. It has been a big missed opportunity having our best goalscorer on the bench, he should have played alongside Morelos far more in recent months. 

Lack of goals in our front 3 has cost us again this season imo. Celtic 1st choice striker got a hat trick on his debut and had been the most clinical striker in the league pre-injury (120 mpg), their 2nd choice striker has two hat tricks to his name and now has the best goalscoring rate (90 mpg)   Roofe has 100 mpg but that's with several penalties. Morelos is 7th in the league on 193 mpg. Kent has 2 league goals this season so is on 995 mpg. Compare that to Abada on 205 mpg or even 261 mpg for Jota. I believe it's primarily what has cost us and it has been my worry for a long time. 

The difference between us at the moment in the league is that they have turned 3 draws into wins. It isn't just a mentality thing, they signed players who have a knack for finishing and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. Their scout reports showed exactly that by the way. 

Anyway, onwards to Thursday. 

Edited by DMAA

Great result and i'll take the 3 points, but St Mirren didn't turn up. First game in ages I've seen our opponent not run themselves into the ground and commit niggly foul after foul to break the game up.

Patience running thin with Helander and his candy floss body.

Great to see King come on, didn't look troubled at all. As i said St Mirren didn't turn up but good minutes under his belt.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

40 minutes ago, CammyF said:

IMG-20220411-WA0000.jpg

I don't know/haven't seen many Rangers fans questioning Roofes quality. Not anyone with half a brain anyway. Rangers need goal scorers like Roofe just like we needed Kris Boyd and he was by no means a great footballer. But his goal return was exceptional. Roofe is a much better all round player than Boyd.

The issue is not quality or goal return. Its the Kemar Roofe bell curve. This has been pretty consistent since he joined. Starts off lacking sharpness and you can see something about him. Gets to fitness. Starts delivering goals and we all wax lyrical about him. Then he gets injured and misses a couple of weeks/months. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure we all have thought at some point 'if it wasn't for injuries Kemar Roofe would be playing on a bigger platform than the SPL". But a few months of a top player per season isn't good enough for us either.

Edited by Sutton_blows_goats

2 hours ago, CammyF said:

IMG-20220411-WA0000.jpg

43 starts in almost 2 seasons isn’t a lot though is it?

there’s where the problem lies. 
great player when fit and playing regularly but looks to me there’s a reason he’s playing in SPFL & not a better league 

1 hour ago, RANGERRAB said:

43 starts in almost 2 seasons isn’t a lot though is it?

there’s where the problem lies. 
great player when fit and playing regularly but looks to me there’s a reason he’s playing in SPFL & not a better league 

Oh, I agree with this and @Sutton_blows_goats above, his fitness is an issue.