The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

On 01/09/2022 at 20:28, rbr said:

Who are all these players that aren't good enough   , the same players plus Aribo and Bassey , that got to a European final , honest to God. 

McLaughlin, Goldson, Kamara, Kent, Barisic, Wright, Morelos, Sakala, Matondo are NOT good enough for Rangers. They've all had their moments, but they have not been on it for too long. (I give Morelos and Matondo a chance to prove me wrong). It happens in football. Given we also have medium and long term injuries to Hagi, Helander, Souttar, Davies, Roofe, (add Lowry and Lawrence to the short term injury list) - we needed to strengthen to just attempt to be successful this season. Don't you agree? 

PS. Sorry for deliberately waiting for this evening to reply to your response, I thought you may see clearer now. 

2 minutes ago, weebluedevil said:

McLaughlin, Goldson, Kamara, Kent, Barisic, Wright, Morelos, Sakala, Matondo are NOT good enough for Rangers. They've all had their moments, but they have not been on it for too long.

Rubbish. The vast majority of the players you mentioned played part in getting us to EL Final and qualifying for the Champions League.  Most of them helped deliver 55.

Again, we can't sell players if nobody wants to buy them. If nobody wants to buy them we have 2 options. Resign them or lose them for nothing.

Motondo has been here 5 minutes and appears to be this seasons Bassey / Lundsturm. 

We had a limited budget to spend, what did you expect or put another way, who did you expect us to sign? 

Soutar was a free transfer and worth remembering that we need a percentage of Scottish players in our CL / Euro squad. So if not Wright and Soutar, then who?

36 minutes ago, CammyF said:

Rubbish. The vast majority of the players you mentioned played part in getting us to EL Final and qualifying for the Champions League.  Most of them helped deliver 55.

Again, we can't sell players if nobody wants to buy them. If nobody wants to buy them we have 2 options. Resign them or lose them for nothing.

Motondo has been here 5 minutes and appears to be this seasons Bassey / Lundsturm. 

We had a limited budget to spend, what did you expect or put another way, who did you expect us to sign? 

Soutar was a free transfer and worth remembering that we need a percentage of Scottish players in our CL / Euro squad. So if not Wright and Soutar, then who?

Rubbish, really Cammy? We can discuss each of the players individually if you like?  Goldson is a lazy defender, caught sleeping too often, but hey he's good at taking a yellow for the team...or himself. I was Kent's biggest fan, but for too long he has shown no end product and can be liability by trying to dribble out of defence. His numbers are fucking pathetic. Barasic has found some crossing form at last but is a liability in defence and is unable to play out from the back. Wright shows some pace and tenacity but his decision making in the final third is too often terrible. Sakala has no end product (or at least it's too rare). Don't start me on Morelos. Yes once the darling of the Rangers fans despite his fitness and petulance. All that's left is the petulance (but I continue to hope that he gets back to his old best). Matondo is settling in and I have hopes for him, but he's not going to be in the starting 11 until we see some more consistency. 

McLaughlin is not going to be a fan favourite, perhaps we've be spoiled in that position and that goes against him, but he is never Rangers quality. I could go on. Stop referencing last seasons EL run (but lost the league) or 55 (helped by the capitulation of Lennon's last stand). This is now and this squad is not good enough compared to them (that has to be the barometer, right? unless second is okay for you?) 

Edited by weebluedevil

Just now, weebluedevil said:

Rubbish, really Cammy? We can discuss each of the players individually if you like?  Goldson is a lazy defender, caught sleeping too often, but hey he's good at taking a yellow for the team...or himself. I was Kent's biggest fan, but for too long he has shown no end product and can be liability by trying to dribble out of defence. His numbers are fucking pathetic. Barasic has found some crossing form at last but is a liability in defence and is unable to play out from the back. Wright shows some pace and tenacity but his decision making in the final third is too often terrible. Sakala has no end product (or at least it's too rare). Don't start me on Morelos. Yes once the darling of the Rangers fans despite his fitness and petulance. All that's left is the petulance (but I continue to hope that he gets back to his old best). Matondo is settling in and I have hopes for him, but he's not going to be in the starting 11 until we see some more consistency. 

McLaughlin is not going to be a fan favourite, perhaps we've be spoiled in that position and that goes against him, but he is never Rangers quality. I could go on. Stop referencing last seasons EL run (but lots the league) or 55 (helped by the capitulation of Lennon's last stand). This is now and this squad is not good enough compared to them (that has to be the barometer, right? unless second is okay for you?) 

Celtic are not a barometer for me. 

Goldson - never injured, never missing and never hiding whilst all our other CBs are nowhere to be seen - hence having to play Sands. 

We needed to sign a keeper in the summer, but McLaughlin is best option at the moment or are we conveniently forgetting McGregors howlers last season?

Matondo is a LEFT WINGER being played out of position whilst trying to settle into a new team / culture. But no matter, let's write him off. 

The EL final was just over 100 days ago so is still relevant especially added to CL qualification this season as it shows a genuine progression in Europe. 

If Celtic are the barometer domestically, then are they also the barometer in Europe? If they are, we are passing all over them. 

Unfortunately the board will take European success over domestic for 1 reason (well 30 or 40 million reasons).  That's just something we'll need to live with as the board ain't going anywhere soon.

6 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I've had enough of Kent.  Can't wait until he's gone.  

His job is to create and score chances.  He does neither in the majority of matches.  

He slows every attack down imo. We need more direct players. Not someone stopping the ball, spinning and doing a couple of stopovers then trying the beat the 5 guys that tracked by while he was checking himself out in the mirror 

5 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

He slows every attack down imo. We need more direct players. Not someone stopping the ball, spinning and doing a couple of stopovers then trying the beat the 5 guys that tracked by while he was checking himself out in the mirror 

Coming round to this way of thinking to be honest. 

Ben Davies - Liverpool - £4.23 million - Didn’t play

Rabbi Mantondo - FC Schalke 04 - £2.70 million - Didn’t play

Antonio Colak - PAOK Salonika - £1.89 million 

Tom Lawrence - Derby - free transfer  - Didn’t play

John Souttar - Heart of Midlothian - Didn’t play 

Malik Tillman - Bayern Munich - Loan

Ridvan Yilmaz - £3.60 million - Didn’t play

Over £10m worth of players who for one reason or another didn’t play.

Some questionable signings amongst the above already.

How many of them have truly made us stronger? Tillman? Lawrence? Colak?

I fear for us against Liverpool if that’s what Celtic did to us today.