Gio on Lundstram sending off

1 hour ago, PoohBear said:

That’s probably all he can say in this situation. The media will all bait him to try and say more knowing it would be controversial. He’s basically said the red card is unfounded without putting himself in a position of getting suspended.

He can highlight the clear inconsistency with the first half decision.

He shouldn't say anything about why it is inconsistent but he should make consistency the topic of discussion.

I've not watched, or read, any post match interviews so maybe he has already said this.

1 hour ago, ranger_syntax said:

He shouldn't say anything about why it is inconsistent but he should make consistency the topic of discussion.

I've not watched, or read, any post match interviews so maybe he has already said this.

Disappointingly, he didn't highlight the inconsistencies.

13 hours ago, BEARGER said:

Our manager says the Lundstram sending off was “a wee bit harsh”. Pathetic response, no mention of Hibs player who got a yellow for the same tackle, may even been worse. Are we ever going to complain about these ridiculous decisions? 

One of the worst things you can do is take a "What about them?" approach.

Criticize the refs, criticize their interpretation of the rules, or your own players (privately).

However, attacking the other team, when that team had no control over ref actions, is a doomed path.

It is weak, and will be seen as nothing more than that.

At worst, it will ring as conspiratorial, bordering on crazy.

I was not meaning that the Hibs player should have got a red card, yellow was correct. But our manager should be asking why our player was not judged by the same criteria as our opponent. The ref could not get his red card out quick enough.

7 hours ago, ranger_syntax said:

Pretty sure he did do this on Sky. He said (I'm paraphrasing) that the ref was allowing a robust match with strong challenges so it was harsh that Lundstrum was given a red considering the match to that point.

Is something that referees are clamping down on this season? Hearts also had a player sent off for the same thing, as did the Newcastle vs Man City, but in that case VAR highlighted it and the referee changed his mind. 

Edit. The Hearts (Sibbick) sending off was a second yellow so fair enough. 

Edited by weebluedevil

4 hours ago, weebluedevil said:

Is something that referees are clamping down on this season? Hearts also had a player sent off for the same thing, as did the Newcastle vs Man City, but in that case VAR highlighted it and the referee changed his mind. 

Edit. The Hearts (Sibbick) sending off was a second yellow so fair enough. 

Obviously not as he only booked the Hibs player.

I don't understand the debate about this.

A cynical 'take one for the team' tackle is a yellow card.  If it's violent conduct, endangering an opponent or you're the last man, it becomes a red.  

Collum wrongly issued a red card to Lundstram because it was just a cynical foul.  

There isn't really a debate to be had.  It was a mistake by Collum.  

Edited by Gonzo79

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

There isn't really a debate to be had.  It was a mistake by Collum.  

Over the years I've become convinced that Collum, Clancy and some others are essentially cheating. Not just incompetent but cheating.

What does that mean, cheating? Does it mean a premeditated intention to take decisions, deliberately and knowingly, with an objective of disadvantaging Rangers? Or is it an internal dislike of Rangers that subliminally influences their decision making. For instance, causing them to produce a red card when a more neutral stance would call for a yellow? In my book, cheating is whatever causes unfair decisions that, over a period, consistently disadvantage one club, whether deliberately or because of altered judgement.

You might say that supporters suffer the same bias in their interpretation of referees, especially those who gain a certain negative reputation. The difference of course is that supporters don't have an official obligation to be impartial and to apply the rules consistently and fairly. Referees do and some of them are cheats.