3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Over the term of his contract surely ....... sufficiently reduced if he wants it all at once???

Let us say a hypothetical 5M.

Still a huge hole in our budget to overhaul the squad. 

Haven't got much in the way of valuable players to sell on, unless the youngsters like King and Lowry start to play like demons.

Edited by buster.

If Gio is to go we'll no doubt wait until he resigns or negotiate a mutual exit for a reduced fee.

By that time the league will be well gone of course so the timing will be less important comparted to the package offered.

I genuinely don’t see us ditching a manager whilst we’re still in touch at the top of the league & still having 2 domestic cups to play for. Also consider the fact this manager got us to a European final and got us into the CL group stages in the past few months.

Whilst I agree some of the domestic football hasn’t been great to watch I do believe the injuries we’ve had has played a big part in this along with less than successful recruitment last summer. 
The CL has proved too big a step up for us but my biggest concern is heavy defeats to the yahoos at the moment. That needs to change along with 2 or 3 signings in January who can go straight into the starting XI. A goalkeeper for starters

49 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

That needs to change along with 2 or 3 signings in January who can go straight into the starting XI.

Signing a few 1st team players (Hetate, Maeda, O’Reilly) in the January window last year helped them improve. No reason why a few of the right players can’t help us.

We got Colak for 1.8 million. There is no reason why we can’t get a couple of midfielders and a keeper in for similar fees who can go straight into our first team and have an impact like him.

1 hour ago, MacK1950 said:

Agree but two players in particular seem to be injury prone,Roofe/Helander,so should be shot of right away.

Squad had too many old and chronically injured that needed managed and liable to miss a lot of minutes.

Squad mgmt was awful.

It was basically set-up to fail.

Not hindsight.

I said it before the season began. It was obvious.

5 hours ago, buster. said:

Squad had too many old and chronically injured that needed managed and liable to miss a lot of minutes.

Squad mgmt was awful.

It was basically set-up to fail.

Not hindsight.

I said it before the season began. It was obvious.

The average age of the squad is too high

5 hours ago, RANGERRAB said:

The average age of the squad is too high

Some clubs have made it work for them.

For example, AC Milan (90's) had a very different approach to taking care of the veterans (mind and body) as well as the fact that the players were top level.

What a club has to do if they decide to go down the high average age and several chronically injured players is to at least have the very best sports science/medical approach that will get more games/minutes out of those players, at as high a performance level as possible.

We seem to have gone down the route of a significant percentage of older/chronically injured players and at the same time, our medical / sports science don't seem to be at the top of their game. 

Not a good combination.