Zonal Defending

I used to watch a highly successful non-league team that competed easily in cup ties with second tier and even relegation fodder first tier sides. They had a cast iron defence. At the start of a new season they adopted zonal defence and lost three in a row. They switched back to man marking and won the league.

With zonal defence, I don’t understand what happens when no attacker comes onto the zone. You can see what happens when three of them arrive at once.

Zonal defence is an abhorrance. Anytime we have come up against an opponent with zonal marking over the last few years I feel we can score from set plays. The same is true when we defend, its like a penalty to the opponent. It seems to have been dreamed up by the Playstation generation, (or even Subbuteo for older bears!) where we just plop defenders into zones and ask them to win the ball if it comes into their zone. The issue is that we only have one proper tall defensive player in Goldson, who hides when a cross comes in and couldn't outjump a midget from a standing start. Go back and watch our defending at corners this season and see how many come into Goldsons "zone" and he is caught under the ball. He clearly doesnt feel comfortable in that system, and it should have been binned after one or two games when it is blatantly obvious that we dont have the players to play it. 

Mark your man, win your battle, with players on the posts just in case. Simple.