The Board Address Fan Concerns

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Just a reminder now that Sir Duped or Mintyville is being mentioned that supporters are always right to ask questions of the club, and the club should be transparent as a result. Lets not get back into a place where those running the club should be above being challenged based on past achievements.

We're a million miles away from the Murray days in governance terms, the Board is consensual not dictotorial.

20 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

That's fine, but we should never stop asking questions and looking for transparency.

I've already said that numerous times in this thread alone.

Much of the current opprobrium being flung in the Boards direction could have been avoided simply by them communicating, the fact they're currently firefighting is a problem of their own making.  An effective PR and communication department allied with something resembling a customer service department would go a hell of a long way to preventing a recurrence. 

We allegedly appointed a new head of customer service but all we seem to have seen is the Ask Rangers stuff which is basically a list of faq's, honestly begs the question what was the point?

1 hour ago, forlanssister said:

I've already said that numerous times in this thread alone.

Much of the current opprobrium being flung in the Boards direction could have been avoided simply by them communicating, the fact they're currently firefighting is a problem of their own making.  An effective PR and communication department allied with something resembling a customer service department would go a hell of a long way to preventing a recurrence. 

We allegedly appointed a new head of customer service but all we seem to have seen is the Ask Rangers stuff which is basically a list of faq's, honestly begs the question what was the point?

Thought we had a PR guy, David Graham. No idea what he does

1 hour ago, forlanssister said:

They seemed to fall out with the support after the OZ backlash and avoid comms after that. Did themselves no favours there.

On 20/09/2022 at 07:09, ranger_syntax said:

This sounds like a waste of time to me.

I think I will start to email the club and recommend that all supporter feedback should be ignored.

The risk of stuff like this being implemented is too great.

No supporters...no Rangers.

Perhaps Rangers fans should pull that card?

It's a two way street. 

On 20/09/2022 at 07:05, ranger_syntax said:

The same thing happens all of the time.

Somebody is crying about something online. The club sends out a silly survey or does a focus group. The club commits to improve communication. 

Even if the club improved communication in some relevant way it wouldn't matter. Somebody would start crying about something else online and the same process would start again.

There is a legitimate argument.

However, until people start keeping their wallet in their pocket...

I have personally seen that happen.

Reynolds Razorback Stadium holds 75,000.

I went to a game that had 15,000.

Shit changed quick after that. 

Money talks. 

14 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

No supporters...no Rangers.

Perhaps Rangers fans should pull that card?

It's a two way street. 

There is a legitimate argument.

However, until people start keeping their wallet in their pocket...

I have personally seen that happen.

Reynolds Razorback Stadium holds 75,000.

I went to a game that had 15,000.

Shit changed quick after that. 

Money talks. 

Was John Greig their manager at the time?

Unlike Murray, who basically didn't have to listen to anyone, the current board does at least seem susceptible to supporter pressure. While they continue to make the mistake of not actively harvesting supporter opinion, on those occasions when the support gets particularly vocal the board does react, albeit never fast enough.

I find myself wondering what "communication" actually looks like from the other side of the equation. I sometimes get the impression that the board is rather reluctant to engage openly because the directors don't particularly trust the support to interact in a measured and constructive manner. Frankly, while in no way condoning poor communication, some of the stuff I've read recently would only justify that view.

I don't think the solution lies in simply criticising the board every time something goes wrong, especially when it involves the sort of wild mud-slinging we've all seen lately. What's missing is what's always been missing - a genuine supporters' organisation to gather and represent supporter views and to serve as a coherent bridge between club and support. And I think we also need to be honest ... every previous attempt to create supporter representation has either been a complete disaster or has been constructed on a confrontational basis rather than the constructive partnership we and the club actually need. After the Murray debacle and all that followed, it's hardly surprising that trust was in short supply but if we genuinely want to move things forward then it's time we, as well as the board, got our act together.

For me, this should be one of the key priorities for club and supporters alike. It's time to abandon the archaic notions embodied in the RST and Club1872. The time has gone when our priority was to "keep an eye" on the board, whether by share ownership or media pressure. If supporters really want to contribute to the future development and direction of the club then we have to accept that constructive cooperation is the best way forward. I'm willing to bet that the directors would bite our hand off to get real supporter representation on the board if they felt it had genuine intent and could demonstrate true validity. Unfortunately, for too many fans, that would mean abandoning long held reactionary attitudes of blame and confrontation and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Which I feel is a great pity and a huge opportunity lost.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Unlike Murray, who basically didn't have to listen to anyone, the current board does at least seem susceptible to supporter pressure. While they continue to make the mistake of not actively harvesting supporter opinion, on those occasions when the support gets particularly vocal the board does react, albeit never fast enough.

I find myself wondering what "communication" actually looks like from the other side of the equation. I sometimes get the impression that the board is rather reluctant to engage openly because the directors don't particularly trust the support to interact in a measured and constructive manner. Frankly, while in no way condoning poor communication, some of the stuff I've read recently would only justify that view.

I don't think the solution lies in simply criticising the board every time something goes wrong, especially when it involves the sort of wild mud-slinging we've all seen lately. What's missing is what's always been missing - a genuine supporters' organisation to gather and represent supporter views and to serve as a coherent bridge between club and support. And I think we also need to be honest ... every previous attempt to create supporter representation has either been a complete disaster or has been constructed on a confrontational basis rather than the constructive partnership we and the club actually need. After the Murray debacle and all that followed, it's hardly surprising that trust was in short supply but if we genuinely want to move things forward then it's time we, as well as the board, got our act together.

For me, this should be one of the key priorities for club and supporters alike. It's time to abandon the archaic notions embodied in the RST and Club1872. The time has gone when our priority was to "keep an eye" on the board, whether by share ownership or media pressure. If supporters really want to contribute to the future development and direction of the club then we have to accept that constructive cooperation is the best way forward. I'm willing to bet that the directors would bite our hand off to get real supporter representation on the board if they felt it had genuine intent and could demonstrate true validity. Unfortunately, for too many fans, that would mean abandoning long held reactionary attitudes of blame and confrontation and is unlikely to happen any time soon. Which I feel is a great pity and a huge opportunity lost.

From the little I have seen, the board or whoever on their behalf, sometimes note what is going on or being questioned within the support (often via social media). They offer back soundbites, tweets, statements, occasional actions, etc to appease, sweeten up, keep happy, satisfy or similar, that line of supporter feedback.

In some cases it is short term firefighting that actually makes things worse.

For example, pushing the positive vibes about our finances, deals, etc and not a balanced picture.

So the support expect more money spent in a transfer window and then further down the line, the board are on the back foot. Partly, their own fault.

As for supporter groups to communicate/act as bridge....with the board.

Forget it, it isn't happening any time soon. 

Twenty years of one disaster after another, for all kinds of reasons. We have what we generally deserve.

The current board have enough real supporters on it.

Re. Communication. They just have to improve in obvious areas. Not forgetting, the planting of money trees at Auchenhowie and winning Leagues.

Edited by buster.