What is Rangers’ biggest letdown?

It was late October'80, I came off a week long trining exercise on Dartmoor. I drove up to the Derbyshire and grabbed a couple of hours sleep in the car. It was the quarter-finals of the Anglo-Scottish Cup second leg. We had drawn 1-1 with Chesterfield at Ibrox a fortnight before. The weather on Dartmoor was horrid, it was worse on the edge of the Peak District, persistent heavy rain.

We got skelped 3-zip by the then third tier English outfit.

As usual, we had taken a huge support down and the disappointment manifested itself in numerous blue on blue on the terraces.

Chesterfield went on to win the trophy, defeating Notts County(then first tier) 2-1 in the final.

The 1967 Euro Cup Winners final was very disappointing because of a result in another competition but it was Bayern in Germany so no surprise. My worst Euro final is the two legged affair with Fiorentina. I expected to win that one because Rangers were a really good side at the time. Manchester was a miracle the team had got that far. Seville? I had a feeling Rangers had shot their bolt in the earlier rounds. None of these results was humiliating. None of the opponents was a minnow.

compo has mentioned a League Cup Final that ended in catastrophe. Strangely the fuss died down after a few days. Rangers signed Willie Telfer and all was well. It was only during our niar that the tims revived the memory of it to give them some comfort in their anguish. In a way the 5-1 at parkhead in 1966 was worse because the resurrection was a long time coming.

Therefore, combining, shock, humiliation and minnows, the front runners in the Competition of Shame are Gonzo’s Raith and 26th’s Chesterfield.

Chesterfield wins. By a distance.

Edited by Scott7

Maxwell and big Davie getting pelters again.

In their defence, United scored in the 47th minute. How come McCoist, Hateley, Durie and Duncan Ferguson didn’t score five in the remaining 43?