[FT] St Johnstone 2 - 1 Rangers (Tavernier 74)

19 hours ago, Whosthedado said:

Goldson going out was the end of our season. He's more of a Captain than Tav will ever be

People are defensive of King because of his age, but the fact is that there has been a massive drop in quality in that position and it has had a big impact. Unfortunate for King but that injury has cost us.

Edited by DMAA

47 minutes ago, DMAA said:

People are defensive of King because of his age, but the fact is that there has been a massive drop in quality in that position and it has had a bit impact. Unfortunate for King but that injury has cost us.

You're right .... but the experience the 18 year Leon King is getting now may well make our defence stronger in the long run. It's the old dilemma, we want the develop youth but we wont give youth a chance to develop. Damned if we do, damned if we don't but I think we're gaining more than we're losing.

The problem is that not much can be held against King or even Davies with these goals. King did the easy bit and blasted ball out of the danger area, and preferably into touch. Yet, Tavernier tried to be clever and his attempted long ball ended up right in front of our area with the opposition. Suicide defending par excellence. I have not even watched the second goal back and how it came about, yet the cross once more came in from the right - neat flick by Clark at the end.

As I pointed out before, we have an atrocious habit of conceding far too many goals from very few chances that the opposition is allowed. They had 11 shots, 2 on target, and scored twice. We had 29 (as in TWENTY-NINE), 7 on target and scored none, albeit Sakala hit the cross-bar. We had 20 corners compared to their 0. On another day we might have scored 5 or more, but we simply can't let this rotten defending stats continue.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

The problem is that not much can be held against King or even Davies with these goals. King did the easy bit and blasted ball out of the danger area, and preferably into touch. Yet, Tavernier tried to be clever and his attempted long ball ended up right in front of our area with the opposition. Suicide defending par excellence. I have not even watched the second goal back and how it came about, yet the cross once more came in from the right - neat flick by Clark at the end.

As I pointed out before, we have an atrocious habit of conceding far too many goals from very few chances that the opposition is allowed. They had 11 shots, 2 on target, and scored twice. We had 29 (as in TWENTY-NINE), 7 on target and scored none, albeit Sakala hit the cross-bar. We had 20 corners compared to their 0. On another day we might have scored 5 or more, but we simply can't let this rotten defending stats continue.

As did Lundstram.  Lundstram also hit the post.

Apart from the players being too slow, and too soft, there appears to be be no one in the side who can head the ball.  These observations are far from new, and I doubt, very much, if anyone would find them contentious. 

All that all our corners, and all our crosses, do, is give the opposition defence practice, quite a lot of practice, actually.

On the other hand, and related directly to our ineptitude in the opposition box, when our lot have to defend a corner, it's heart in mouth time, and Gawd help us if a cross comes from open play.

A lot can be laid at the feet (and heads) of the players, but, really, the coaching and tactical planning, and work, must be diabolical. 

3 hours ago, Bill said:

You're right .... but the experience the 18 year Leon King is getting now may well make our defence stronger in the long run. It's the old dilemma, we want the develop youth but we wont give youth a chance to develop. Damned if we do, damned if we don't but I think we're gaining more than we're losing.

At this stage, I’d say that’s questionable to say the least. It’s impossible to tell if he will make it with us and he hasn’t made a good start. 

30 minutes ago, DMAA said:

At this stage, I’d say that’s questionable to say the least. It’s impossible to tell if he will make it with us and he hasn’t made a good start. 

I actually think King has made a very decent start, especially having been thrown in a very deep end and without the benefit of an established partner in defence and often questionable protection from midfield.