The Rangers Brand - what does it stand for?

20 minutes ago, CammyF said:

I don't really understand your replies or your reluctance to answer the questions if I'm honest. Never mind, it is what it is. 

I really don't understand your reluctance to participate in this topic without having to probe the views of other people. But it is what it is I guess.

Let's face it, Presbyterianism is dead on its arse and everything that used to be distinctly Scottish is going the same way.  Rangers 'brand' was linked to both.   

We all need to be more emotional, rely on others, play the victim and behave like entitled children nowadays.  Gone are the days of thrift, tight-fistedness, taking responsibility, getting on with it and pulling your socks up.  

Give it 100 years and we'll be almost identical to Celtc.  

On 17/11/2022 at 16:24, Bill said:

I often hear fans discussing the Rangers identity - what the club stands for – and I find myself wondering what values, if any, the club actually does represent. What exactly is the Rangers brand?

I recently watched a Prime video on the life and career of Sir Alex Ferguson “Never Give In”. In football terms it obviously focussed on his achievements as a manager at Aberdeen and Manchester United but there were also hugely negative references to his experiences at Rangers, casting the club as a vindictive cultural dinosaur that was driven by sectarian preferences. I make no comment on the veracity of this but I felt it was nevertheless quite damaging.

It made me wonder where we are as a club and attendant community. While this is bound to be a subjective matter, it does seem to me that we had a clear set of values in the Struth/Symon era, values that were generally recognised in a positive sense by much of the external football community. Since the sacking of Scot Symon (coincident with the SAF era) there’s a body of opinion that we have often struggled as a club to maintain a positive brand. I’d be interested to see the opinions of other members.

Taking the question slightly off track. There's where we've been and then where we're going. Any successful club (or anything) takes a route that allows it to survive and then thrive. That means it has to adapt and change over time.

We have at times went down dead ends with our identity. We are at a place where we havent had the biggest turnover in Scotland for some time so we need to ensure we arent limiting ourselves there - that doesnt mean selling out or chasing any passing ambulance. My philosophy on this is simple, if we are holding on to something/anything that  limits our potential then its not good for Rangers (e.g. stop singing about the UVF and Bobby Sands).

As others have said, the traditional football club angle is one that stands out. A rich and varied history. It also a great selling point, as we'll always be older than most clubs. 

Our last 10 years and the Europa runs focused on hard work, over-coming adversity and getting behind the team. Our current predicament shows as a support we clearly value standards, fitness, winning and winning well. 

We also value and respond to strong leadership. That could be Gerrard or King, but also the club itself being the leader and statesmen within the Scottish game. Again, something currently missing. 

I guess what defines the brand are the parts you actually miss when it's taken away. 

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

We all need to be more emotional, rely on others, play the victim and behave like entitled children nowadays.  Gone are the days of thrift, tight-fistedness, taking responsibility, getting on with it and pulling your socks up.  

Give it 100 years and we'll be almost identical to Celtc.  

Modern life is rubbish.