The Rangers Brand - what does it stand for?

17 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Yeah...because he got dumped by his dream date.

Celtic were not.

Of course he had a chip.

Some guys can take defeat, and move on but that is not Alex's psychology.

Look, I bet you anything, if you and me could hop in a time machine, and go back to 1960's Glasgow the only thing on young Alex's mind would be playin for Rangers.

The kid came from a rough place, dreaming of football, Rangers football, and when he got there it didn't work out.

Some guys can say "meh...movin on", some guys can't.

Some guys it destroys, and some it is like puttin a rocket engine under their ass. 

Rangers rejection was that rocket engine.

Now was it ALL Rangers?

No...but it sure was a nice piece. 

You gotta take the bitter and the sweet...it all makes the man.

Rangers rejection was like eating a box of lye for Alex.

That's a badge in my book.

He wasn't "rejected" by Rangers. He was scapegoated and ostracised to train on his own for a cup final humiliation in which John Greig was demonstrably guilt of far bigger errors. Much like Jim Forrest before him, Rangers at the time wasn't a great place to be.

4 hours ago, Bill said:

What exactly is the Rangers brand?

I’ve been thinking about this. My answer is I don’t know. Sixty years ago the easy answer is Protestantism and Unionism but that’s more to do with the club’s adherents than the club itself. I don’t think any club had a brand other than football with the exception of the two Greens. Perhaps Rangers and Hearts developed brands so as to be in contrast to the two others. I don’t think there is much overt Protestantism nowadays. Unionism flourishes but it’s not sold as a club brand.

Anyone know what the Arsenal brand is?

I think to have a brand you need a product to sell you need success and sadly these past 20 years we haven’t done well on that score the hooped horrors have left us in the stalls when it comes to winning the league.

I won’t even hazard a guess as to how old Dougie and the rest of the run the business but we never seem to me to do well in the buying and selling stakes .

As for that old Drumchapel amateur well he did alright as a player 41 games 25 goals as Bill said he took the derry for the cup final defeat very unfair when we had another 10 tits that day .

Oh and by the way we have done extremely well with players from Drumchapel amateurs,very well .

2 hours ago, Bill said:

He wasn't "rejected" by Rangers. He was scapegoated and ostracised to train on his own for a cup final humiliation in which John Greig was demonstrably guilt of far bigger errors. Much like Jim Forrest before him, Rangers at the time wasn't a great place to be.

When one is ostracized...they are rejected. 

If you suck...Rangers is never a great place to be. 

31 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

When one is ostracized...they are rejected. 

If you suck...Rangers is never a great place to be. 

Why do you say he sucked? 25 goals in 41 games is far from sucked.

To me our brand is hard work leads to success and keeping true to our core traditional values. Little things like our manager still wearing a suit on the side-line.  Its a bit of a meme within some of the support but goes back to the days of Struth and some of the values he instilled that should still be there today.

23 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

To me our brand is hard work leads to success and keeping true to our core traditional values. Little things like our manager still wearing a suit on the side-line.  Its a bit of a meme within some of the support but goes back to the days of Struth and some of the values he instilled that should still be there today.

That stuff is all long gone.

I seem to remember some fellow saying that the team that drinks together wins together.

Maybe it disappeared some time before then.

6 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I seem to remember some fellow saying that the team that drinks together wins together.

You can have a drink with workmates and also work hard - the two aren't exclusive. 

However, I do think a lot of the core values aren't what they used to be.  More of a facade than anything of substance nowadays.

54 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

I disagree, the manager does not wear tracksuits, the old managers office is used for signing contracts.

Not all of it will still be in place. Struth took over 100 years ago. Things change over time. 

If its all gone then we just sell up Ibrox and build a 70k stadium somewhere. Stadium expansion problem sorted.