The Winter 2022/23 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

3 hours ago, craig said:

Yes, except nobody else plays that slot anymore either.  Beale wants Barisic getting higher up the pitch to become the "winger" on that side - so nobody is playing LW, as it merely brings more bodies into the space he wants Barisic occupying

Playing Tav and Borna as "wingers" has been done by SG and Gio too. Various degrees of success. If only we had strikers in the box since we "didn't need" a winger anymore. 

In any case, where do you expect Cantwell to pop up?

28 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

Playing Tav and Borna as "wingers" has been done by SG and Gio too. Various degrees of success. If only we had strikers in the box since we "didn't need" a winger anymore. 

A great deal is made about our attacking fullbacks delivering crosses and on their day they can make a huge impact. However the truth is that in most games the quality of their deliveries in actually very poor and the ratio of goals to crosses is very low and certainly scant reward for having fullbacks whose defensive capabilities are so inadequate. 

On 22/01/2023 at 14:20, Bill said:

Looks like a very straightforward "do not touch with a barge pole" to me. If he lacks the character to board a bus for his team I think it's very unlikely he'll be able to shoulder the weight of a Rangers shirt.

Boy ain't that the truth.

You wanna play for Rangers you better have rhino skin covered in Kevlar.

Having said that...could it be a bit of a ruse due to ongoing negotiations? 

5 hours ago, Malangsob said:

Boy ain't that the truth

None of us know if that's true, it's an opinion based on a statement made by a manager who either wants to keep the player, or drive the price up, or get the press off his back.

It could also be argued that this shows drive, character and the persistence that we require from a player, to make a move happen. 

Or it could be that you've a history of writing a player off before you see them in the flesh.

We'll see.

8 hours ago, Malangsob said:

Having said that...could it be a bit of a ruse due to ongoing negotiations? 

It is 100%. Swansea recalled the player to sell. They could have negotiated without recalling the player if they weren’t sure a buyer could meet expectations. And the boy would keep playing and developing elsewhere. I’d expect him to be our player before the end of the window and I think he will do well for us. I am liking the profile of the players we are targeting. We need to get away from spending on guys with no resale value.

On 22/01/2023 at 21:28, Gonzo79 said:

Think the player and Swansea are having a bit of a stand-off.  Quite normal when a player wants away.

Definitely wouldn't put Beale off.  

The Bosman ruling brought into sharp focus how players (with help from their agents) really think about cash and loyalty.

Ignore the pish and wind that is spoken and just hope (if they sign), the on field performance and results are good.

Edited by buster.

9 hours ago, Bill said:

A great deal is made about our attacking fullbacks delivering crosses and on their day they can make a huge impact. However the truth is that in most games the quality of their deliveries in actually very poor and the ratio of goals to crosses is very low and certainly scant reward for having fullbacks whose defensive capabilities are so inadequate. 

Just thinking about the cross ball and goals reminded me of Tommy McLean and Derek Johnstone. 

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Just thinking about the cross ball and goals reminded me of Tommy McLean and Derek Johnstone. 

Yes, you very rarely see that in the modern game; too much of this 'inverted winger stuff.' I liked to see the winger go past the FB on the outside and drive a cross in for the CF to bullet home.