[FT] Rangers 3 (Tillman 15', 21'; Arfield 84') - 0 Bayer Leverkusen

I never like to read too deeply into friendlies but there were one or two good signs today.

In the first half Jack looked back to his old self & Kent livelier than we’ve seen him for a while. Our game looked a higher tempo than we’d been seeing lately too.

But I thought Tillman & Sands both excelled once again. Would be good to get these two as permanent signings as we should be able to make good money on them if we sell them on. However the cost of getting them may be beyond our budget 

6 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So the medical team are allowing players to fiegn injury? 

Our previous managers comments about Roofe deciding when he’s ready to play speaks volumes for me. If a player tells a member of our medical staff they are injured or fully fit, how can they be proven wrong? A scan or X-ray can only show so much. They have to trust the player.

7 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Our previous managers comments about Roofe deciding when he’s ready to play speaks volumes for me. If a player tells a member of our medical staff they are injured or fully fit, how can they be proven wrong? A scan or X-ray can only show so much. They have to trust the player.

It's a hell of an accusation - I'd have assumed all this new sport science would give the medical team an indication if a play is fit.

16 hours ago, CammyF said:

It's a hell of an accusation - I'd have assumed all this new sport science would give the medical team an indication if a play is fit.

Look - we won titles because guys like Barry Ferguson played through cracked ribs and all sorts of injuries. The likes of Prso, Ronald de Boer and Marvin Andrews played through chronic injuries. Daniel Sturrage wouldn’t play with a staved finger. Michael Owen famously downed tools at Newcastle when they faced relegation because felt a twinge in his hamstring and his contract was up a few months later.

Injuries and pain is subjective is all I’m saying. Some want to win at all costs where others don’t.

1 minute ago, ranger_syntax said:

I was too busy to watch this yesterday.

Judging by the scoreline we are now the best team in the world.

Let's put it this way: for most of the game we played how we play best in Europe: straight in their faces, press hard and keep them as far away from our area as we could. Especially the Germans don't like that sort of style. As soon as we let others start playing though ... 

Leverkusen is 12th in the league, hardly kicked a ball in earnest since the WC started, BL only begins in 6 weeks or so. "Their" Alex Lowry, i.e. Florian Wirtz made his much awaited come-back after a cruciate-knee-ligament rupture back in March and is going to be one of Germany's next top stars. Much like Alex will be for us, of course.

As for our display, Sands and Tillman with top marks, Devine did surprisingly well at left-back. The old hands all did as expected, there is still too much indecision in some players when it comes to shooting, there were at least three or four instances, where those on the ball should just have let fly, yet passed to someone else.

Alfie still needs to find his touch, you would hope that we play him alongside Colak every now and then.