Scott Wright

14 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I want us to buy someone for the left-attacking slot currently occupied by someone who doesn't score enough goals for that slot. Simples. I'd use Roofe or Morelos there if Colak gets the central slot, but for one reason or another, they are currently unfit too.

So (if everyone is fit) you want to use our all time top European scorer or our top league scorer the last time we won the league (who is also the best natural finisher at the club) as " left wingers"?

46 minutes ago, CammyF said:

So (if everyone is fit) you want to use our all time top European scorer or our top league scorer the last time we won the league (who is also the best natural finisher at the club) as " left wingers"?

Nope. We play some sort of 4-3-3 and no real wingers for ages. We usually line this 4-3-3 up (natural position-wise) as a 4-2-3-1 which is de facto inadequate against Scottish brickwall teams, as we rely on one striker to score most of the goals and people contributing from the other attacking slots (i.e. left and right attack slots in a 4-3-3 or however you line that up). Kent does not fulfill this role properly, and Sakala only grew into that role of late. 

Morelos has time and again drifted out of this central role and thus created space for others to run into, with not many bar Arfield able and/or willing to do so. 

Back in the day of Gerrard (the player), you had e.g. Bayern playing with three attackers from Ribery, Mandzukic, Pizarro, Müller,  and/or Robben and they all contributed like hell. That was deemed modern football and all that is fine and well. Yet, as we have seen, against the brickwall teams, our current crop is not and has not come up with the goods. We still create 20 to 35 chances per game, and still rely far too much on our defense not concede from the 5 chances the opposition creates. Find the fault.

Hence we look at players can play across the front line and contribute. Roofe can easily play on either side of a central striker, as can Sakala. In his current form, I wouldn't play Morelos ahead of Colak, but he is sure able to move to either side of a central striker and play there. Obviously, in a game, positions can change dynamically between the players. The main point remains that we need players in those front three (or however one might want to call them) who contribute to the scoreline, not the game stats.

We have found one in Sakala. Now we need to find one for the left, hence my suggestion above. 

Edited by der Berliner

13 hours ago, der Berliner said:

I want us to buy someone for the left-attacking slot currently occupied by someone who doesn't score enough goals for that slot. Simples. I'd use Roofe or Morelos there if Colak gets the central slot, but for one reason or another, they are currently unfit too.

But we haven't been playing with a front 3 under Beale for the most part, but even if we were, the team would suffer from losing the amount of work that Kent does if you moved a Roofe or Morelos out there.

We'll suffer if Kent doesn't sign a new contract.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

But we haven't been playing with a front 3 under Beale for the most part, but even if we were, the team would suffer from losing the amount of work that Kent does if you moved a Roofe or Morelos out there.

We'll suffer if Kent doesn't sign a new contract.

So how have we played under Beale then? TM says exactly what I have been seeing for ages, i.e. a defending 4-3-3 = 4-2-3-1.

We will suffer without Bassey, we will suffer without Morelos, we will ... haven't we heard the mantra before? Not saying you are entirely wrong here, but as per usual at Rangers, someone / -two will step up and fill the gap.

1 hour ago, der Berliner said:

So how have we played under Beale then? TM says exactly what I have been seeing for ages, i.e. a defending 4-3-3 = 4-2-3-1.

We will suffer without Bassey, we will suffer without Morelos, we will ... haven't we heard the mantra before? Not saying you are entirely wrong here, but as per usual at Rangers, someone / -two will step up and fill the gap.

We have suffered without Morelos and Bassey ;)3

We have largely been playing a 4-3-1-2 under Beale. Kent has been playing a number 10 role behind the front 2.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

We have suffered without Morelos and Bassey ;)3

We have largely been playing a 4-3-1-2 under Beale. Kent has been playing a number 10 role behind the front 2.

Borna stepped up this season, so much so, that Ridvan got no game time. Colak easily filled Morelos' boots this season. Not that you need a reminder of that.

Sakala is mainly hugging his right-sided attack slot, Kent the left. The latter does venture all over the park nowadays though. Countable effects still minimal. BTW, the only thing I want is that we put someone in the left attacking slot who actually scores goals, no matter what role is earmarked for Kent.

Borna stepped up this season, so much so, that Ridvan got no game time. Colak easily filled Morelos' boots this season. Not that you need a reminder of that.

We're way behind in the league and a disaster in Europe. We've had to struggle with our 5th and 6th choice centre backs for much of the season. Not that you need a reminder of that.

Sakala is mainly hugging his right-sided attack slot, Kent the left. The latter does venture all over the park nowadays though. Countable effects still minimal.

I sometimes wonder if I watch the same games as you. Kent has pretty consistently played as a number 10 under Beale, apart from a notable 45 minutes. He's been one of our best players post world cup.

11 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

We're way behind in the league and a disaster in Europe. We've had to struggle with our 5th and 6th choice centre backs for much of the season. Not that you need a reminder of that.

I sometimes wonder if I watch the same games as you. Kent has pretty consistently played as a number 10 under Beale, apart from a notable 45 minutes. He's been one of our best players post world cup.

Agreed, I think Kent has been revitalised under Beale in the 10 slot, with the freedom to roam and pick up the ball in areas he can attack going both ways instead of being stuck on the wing where he is pretty predictable to defend against. I also see Sakala playing mostly under Beale as a twin striker. Sometimes we look like a 4-2-2-2 with Jack & Lundstrum as the 2 sitting, then Tillman & Kent trying to find the spaces in between the opponents packed defence and midfield and operating in behind Alfie & Sakala. We have looked quite narrow at times. Sometimes this works, sometimes not so well, but it is certainly the way it looks from the stands where you get a much better view of our formations than from tv.