[FT] Rangers 3 (Colak 50; Tillman 71; Sands 86) - 2 Partick Thistle

In the final analysis, everyone has to decide for themselves how they would have reacted to the situation facing our manager on Sunday and therefore whether or not they agree with the way Mick Beale dealt with the situation. What they can't do is condemn the manager for having the self-belief to follow his own judgement.

Sure, when he made his decision it could have worked out badly, maybe even cost us the game, but I see only positives from having a manager with the self-confidence to follow his own instincts and do what he believes is right, aware of the risks involved. There's a lot more at stake here than one game against Partick Thistle.

I remember a number of years ago, ironically against Thistle again, Iain Ferguson being criticised for chasing the ball following a similar incident. Someone went down and the ball was put out, it was thrown back to Thistle by us, then Fergie chased their players not allowing them to dwell on it. The Thistle fans howled, their players remonstrated but as the game was tied and it felt like Thistle were wasting time Fergie wasn't for letting them pass it among themselves. At the time I fully supported him doing it, I felt Thistle were taking advantage of the unwritten rule, using it to their advantage, trying to slow the game down, stop our building momentum. 

So for me there isn't a line, I don't see this as club specific, I see it as circumstances specific. I'd have no problem supporting the manager and players doing the same thing, in the same circumstances, against any other side, even 'them'. In different circumstances though, I might take a very different view. As this thread has demonstrated, this isn't a black and white issue. We all see things differently and I suspect if this ever does happen again there will be disagreements, again. 

Interestingly I just watched the Leeds/Aston Villa incident from a few years back. It's slightly different but the outcome was the same, Leeds letting Villa walk in a goal. What I noticed though was the Leeds supporters booed and jeered it, they weren't happy about that decision, made by a very popular manager in Biesla. So maybe @Bluedell is onto something in his observation that those at the game and those watching on TV saw the incident differently. 

4 hours ago, Frankie said:

At the game you wouldn't know the context. It's amazing how different situations can appear when you don't have the luxury of replays and commentary...

Unless you're sitting next to me where you get the latter and it is always accurate... ;)

Not what @ian1964 says 😀

It's been evident for a long time that opposition teams feel free to bully and kick lumps out of our players. Something needs to change. I'm not suggesting we fill our ranks with hammer throwers but one or two handing it out when the need arises wouldn't go amiss. Looking at our current squad, very few seem able of willing to extract retribution .... maybe Ryan Jack and Alfredo Morelos but in general we look like lightweights in a league of thugs.