Kicker Q&A with Malik Tillman

Some of the tactical comments that interested me:

'After almost exactly a year in office, coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst had to vacate his post in November. Was his performance in the premier class his undoing?

Yes, but we haven't always reached our standard in the league either. I don't think the sporting directors liked the way we played football. That was too defensive, goals are expected from us.

His successor Michael Beale, once an assistant to Steven Gerrard, has not yet lost a competitive game as Rangers coach. What does he do better than van Bronckhorst?

Among other things, he allows more offensive football to be played. I would say that he and his assistants prepare us more for opponents. We have a better sense of how we go into a game.

[...]

You have scored five goals in the last eight competitive games, sometimes as a right winger, sometimes in central midfield. What position do you see yourself in?

I mostly play on the right eight, the coach gives me certain freedom up front. I'm a mix of a ten and an eight. Under the new coach, I took another big step towards eight because I think more defensively and understand our pressing.'

His final words may give a little insight of how this "buy-option with option to re-buy" looks like. By the looks of it, a fee was agreed if we want to make the deal permanent, and after that, Bayern gets first-option should we decide on selling him later on.

What remains the question is whether he would sign for us and whether Bayern are obliged to sell to us if we decide to make the deal permanent.

The Rangers have a purchase option for you at the end of the season. Would you rather stay or try again in Munich?

I just want to play as much as possible. I care where that will be, but not too much. I feel comfortable here, very much so. I'm deliver performances, which I think they like quite well here at Rangers. But I could also imagine that Bayern do like it too. That's why ... we shall see.

These words indicate that Bayern, if they don't want to sell him, don't have to. Obviously, it also remains to be seen whether he wants to stay.

Edited by der Berliner

9 minutes ago, craig said:

I literally never have a clue what you mean when you post mate - no disrespect intended :D

I'm usually the same but I think he means we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket (ie putting everything into the Tillman purchase).  

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

I'm usually the same but I think he means we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket (ie putting everything into the Tillman purchase).  

Aye, probably.  But I wouldnt see it as all eggs in one basket :D