Hall of Fame

55 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

What I find interesting is two players, McGregor and Davis, are honoured despite both leaving the club when we went onto administration. Yet two international players who stayed, McCulloch and Wallace, are ignored. Now we can debate motivation, stage of career, earning potential and so on, but both could have played at a far higher level than the bottom divisions in Scotland at that time. 

As it happens I don't really blame Davis and McGregor, or any of the players who left. It's a short career, there was enormous uncertainty around the club, the new owner, Charles Green, even then didn't fill you with confidence. But, both Wallace and McCulloch made different choices and so provided experience and leadership at a time when we were looking like playing children in our first team. Whatever your views on their ability I find it surprising they've been overlooked when some of their contemporaries are being inducted.  

I believe McCulloch was entered into the Hall of Fame in 2014, along with Ricksen and Novo, a year which totally devalued the HoF, in my opinion.

Wallace deserves to be be in front of all three, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, gaspard said:

Apparently these are the criteria 

1. Service to the club
2. Number of games
3. Honours won with Rangers
4. International caps won while at Rangers
5. Exceptional abilities

These were the criteria when the HoF started but it's unknown whether they still apply under the current board.

18 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

I believe McCulloch was entered into the Hall of Fame in 2014, along with Ricksen and Novo, a year which totally devalued the HoF, in my opinion.

I stand corrected, I didn't realise McCulloch was already in the Hall Of Fame. I couldn't find a definitive list of who was in it. My internet skills are clearly as poor as my memory these days! 

37 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I stand corrected, I didn't realise McCulloch was already in the Hall Of Fame. I couldn't find a definitive list of who was in it. My internet skills are clearly as poor as my memory these days! 

I couldn't find the list on the official club site, some articles but no actual HoF list, was easy to find in the past but not now, probably on wiki but often incorrect on that platform.

There's the marble staircase board of course but that probably needs updating. 

Not much of an accolade if the public can't find the inductees 

I have long been an advocate of Anton Logan's inclusion?

We should begin the Rangers experience each matchday at the Edmiston with a massed, 'Lets all do the Anton';  a good cardio-vascular exercise. Anton's considerable contribution to the Rangers supports feeling of immense well being should NOT be ignored.

2 hours ago, Bluedell said:

That was the year I gave up caring about the HoF. Ricksen especially, half of one good season (when chasing a new deal) in about 5-6 years does not make a HoF candidate IMO. 

While McCulloch was an extremely limited player, his commitment in our hour of darkness is more admirable than others and Wallace being overlooked seems to be for shall we say non-sporting reasons.

I agree with others, if we were to do a HoF right, and we certainly should have, then the criteria had to be strict and definitely has to be for only players whose last game for the club was at least 5 years hence. I dont care what number are inducted if the criteria is so high as we only get legends going in there. If that means a couple of years without inductees, then I am fine with that. Of course that then means no fancy dinner as an earner for the club, which is what it seems to be more about than any sporting merit.

19 hours ago, Bill said:

Do you know if there are any specific qualifying metrics, any actual basis of selection? Or are inductions merely subjective individual choices?

Why isn't there any supporter participation? Seems to me that MyGers would be a perfect vehicle.

I think @gaspardhas posted the previously known criteria but not sure if that remains accurate.

I don't think it's worth getting too steamed up about in any case. Whilst well-intentioned it has been devalued too often to make it a worthwhile exercise. Not to mention it's not open to non-players which doesn't make sense. Why shouldn't a manager, a kitman or a cook not be recognised?

25 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Why shouldn't a manager, a kitman or a cook not be recognised?

Exactly so.

If we don't know the qualifying criteria, do we know who makes the decisions?