Confirmed: Ross Wilson joins Nottingham Forest

• Rousseau changed the title to Nottingham Forest working on deal to recruit Rangers' Ross Wilson | The Athletic

Although this will go down well with a section of the support, I'm concerned about the impact it may have on the negotiations that may be going on in regards to the players that Beale has identified for next season. 

8 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Tbh, I would be pleased to see him go. There cannot be many jobs where his level of success would be good enough to remain employed. 

I'm mixed. There are no doubts our recruitment strategy since 55 has been questionable. Signing crocks and the likes of Matondo on big wages. But what if that was Gio's call? 

On the plus side he was able to negotiate great fees for Patterson and Bassey.

Would have liked to have given him the opportunity to right some wrongs this summer. But if the EPL megabucks come calling he will be gone.

There is also part of me that thinks maybe Beale has come in with different ideas and maybe its best for Wilson to move on.

40 minutes ago, Graeme Ro55 said:

Tbh, I would be pleased to see him go. There cannot be many jobs where his level of success would be good enough to remain employed. 

He must have done something right to be approached by a PL side. 

1 minute ago, Rousseau said:

He must have done something right to be approached by a PL side. 

Looking at the guys Leeds and Forest have just sacked I'm not so sure. The Forest guy oversaw recruitment of almost and entire squad of players for mega bucks and the Leeds guy messed up a transfer that's just meant they had to pay a £25 million penalty fee

30 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

There is also part of me that thinks maybe Beale has come in with different ideas and maybe its best for Wilson to move on.

They shouldn't be butting heads, though. They have to work together. 

If a coach doesn't want to work with a DoF they shouldn't be here. 

I know you're not saying so - and I don't believe MB is - but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a coach dictating recruitment strategy to the DoF or the board. 

2 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

They shouldn't be butting heads, though. They have to work together. 

If a coach doesn't want to work with a DoF they shouldn't be here. 

I know you're not saying so - and I don't believe MB is - but I'm uncomfortable with the idea of a coach dictating recruitment strategy to the DoF or the board. 

But the issue is that if the DOF is not producing as expected then any coaches working alongside will be hamstrung by the liability of a DOF. 

Who knows if there is baggage there, maybe Beale wanted the job when Gerrard left and Wilson went elsewhere. Maybe Beale went above Wilsons head to come back (the infamous Aberdeen game he attended).

I think a recruiting strategy needs to be 50/50 from head coach and DOF/club. Not like what I perceived to happen under Gio where he only picked signings from a list of players he was given by the recruitment team (and the famous 'why didn't he sign any players he knew from holland), but at the same time not knocking back big bids for players because Gerrard said so.

3 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Looking at the guys Leeds and Forest have just sacked I'm not so sure. The Forest guy oversaw recruitment of almost and entire squad of players for mega bucks and the Leeds guy messed up a transfer that's just meant they had to pay a £25 million penalty fee

The Leeds DoF has made a howler, there.  

I don't think the Forest guy did too bad in terms of singing all those players. They did need to sign a lot of players because 7-8 members of their Championship promotion team were loans, and none were made permanent, even if they were able to. The fact that he let that happen is the issue, for me.