Confirmed: Ross Wilson joins Nottingham Forest

2 hours ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

I'm mixed. There are no doubts our recruitment strategy since 55 has been questionable. Signing crocks and the likes of Matondo on big wages. But what if that was Gio's call? 

Wilson publicly said it was Gio's calls, while Gio still was with us. I doubt he'd lie about that.

If that is the case then it seems strange to criticise Wilson for bringing in players that the manager wants, as many are doing.

18 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

Wilson publicly said it was Gio's calls, while Gio still was with us. I doubt he'd lie about that.

If that is the case then it seems strange to criticise Wilson for bringing in players that the manager wants, as many are doing.

Yes i think you are right on that.

I think the criticism of Wilsons role here (from me anyway) is that he should be mitigating the risk of a manager who wants to make signings that may not fit our profile.

IE if the rumour of Matondos wage is true, there is perhaps an argument the wage is out with our pay structure for a player of his calibre. Why sign Soutter when you already have the OG centre half crock in Helander etc

17 minutes ago, Sutton_blows_goats said:

Yes i think you are right on that.

I think the criticism of Wilsons role here (from me anyway) is that he should be mitigating the risk of a manager who wants to make signings that may not fit our profile.

IE if the rumour of Matondos wage is true, there is perhaps an argument the wage is out with our pay structure for a player of his calibre. Why sign Soutter when you already have the OG centre half crock in Helander etc

It's also just possible that Wilson's job was made all but impossible by a succession of managers who made confused and conflicting statements of requirements to the DoF. The assumption seems to be that our managers have been clear and correct, while our DoF has been inept and ineffectual .... but there's very little evidence I can see to support this.

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

The grass is always greener.

I'd like to see more of a moneyball-, Red Bull-type appointment. 

That's just me, though. I suspect I'm in the minority. 

Yeah, but wasn't that type of approach our driver for recruiting Wilson?

Southampton are/were very well known for their own 'money ball' approach. 

Data analytics, hard stop on player purchase price, developmental profit model?

This guy was the director of scouting there, and Huddersfield prior.

I haven't walked deep in the weeds to verify specifics but it seems we already have that guy.

Wilson is the head honcho and should shoulder much of the blame but his support structure may be in question as well.

Particularly his recruiting, and analytics teams. 

Judging from the most recent past I will make this additional claim...I think one of the biggest problems has already exited the club...Gio.

I think Wilson deserves more time. 

Bit of a Rangers Da shout here but could David Weir be viable? I know he's a technical director at Brighton but unsure how involved he is in recruitment. If he's been in and around it though I'd go and get him, their recruitment has been stellar for a few seasons now.

50 minutes ago, Malangsob said:

Yeah, but wasn't that type of approach our driver for recruiting Wilson?

Southampton are/were very well known for their own 'money ball' approach. 

Data analytics, hard stop on player purchase price, developmental profit model?

This guy was the director of scouting there, and Huddersfield prior.

I haven't walked deep in the weeds to verify specifics but it seems we already have that guy.

Wilson is the head honcho and should shoulder much of the blame but his support structure may be in question as well.

Particularly his recruiting, and analytics teams. 

Judging from the most recent past I will make this additional claim...I think one of the biggest problems has already exited the club...Gio.

I think Wilson deserves more time. 

He's not moneyball. 

Brentford are moneyball. 

33 minutes ago, yuddie said:

I know he's a technical director at Brighton but unsure how involved he is in recruitment.

If he's Technical Director then presumably not at all

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

If he's Technical Director then presumably not at all

Brighton say "David will oversee all football operations; including recruitment, analysis, medical and player welfare, across both the men's and women's set-up."

46 minutes ago, yuddie said:

Bit of a Rangers Da shout here but could David Weir be viable? I know he's a technical director at Brighton but unsure how involved he is in recruitment. If he's been in and around it though I'd go and get him, their recruitment has been stellar for a few seasons now.

Most of Brighton's great recruitment was done under Dan Ashworth, I believe, but Weir seems to also be doing a great job.

I can't imagine Weir leaving a team that's 7th in the EPL, with a fantastic recruitment record, to come here.